Subject: DOOM: Rec.Games.Computer.Doom FAQ (1999/09/07)
From: [email-masked] (Frans P. de Vries)
Newsgroups: rec.games.computer.doom.announce,rec.games.computer.doom.help,rec.games.computer.doom.misc,rec.games.computer.doom.playing,rec.games.computer.doom.editing,rec.answers,news.answers

Archive-name: games/doom/RGCD-faq
Rec-games-computer-doom-announce-archive-name: RGCD-faq
Posting-Frequency: weekly (every Wednesday)

                ______     ______    ______  _______
       /\       \   _ \   /  __  \  /  __  \ \   __ \
      //\\       | | | |  | |  |_|  | |  |_|  | |  \ |
     /Last\      | |_| |  | | ____  | |       | |  | |    Maintained By:
    /Update\     |    /   \  \\  /  \  \___,  | \  | |
    \Sep 07/     | |\ \    \    /    \    /   |  \ | |    Frans P. de Vries
     \1999/      | | \_\ __ \__/   _  \__/  _ `\  \/ |
      \\//       | |     |_       /_\      / \  \   /
       \/        |/      |        | |      \_X   \_/

()=========================================================================()
|| This is the "Official" RGCD FAQ.  It provides pointers / answers to the ||
|| most Frequently Asked & easily answered Questions that often get posted ||
|| to  rec.games.computer.doom.{help,misc,playing,editing}  about DOOM and ||
|| related 3D action games (like Heretic/Hexen/Strife) that use DOOM-based ||
|| technology licensed from id Software, in all versions, sequels & ports. ||
|| Changes from the previous 990202 edition are indicated by a leading '|' ||
|| Current editn: ftp://ftp.gamers.org/pub/archives/doom/periodic/RGCD_FAQ ||
|| HTML ed: http://www.gamers.org/pub/archives/doom/periodic/RGCD_FAQ.html ||
()=========================================================================()

                          ==** IMPORTANT NOTE **==

Below is the list of DOOM FTP archives.  All URLs (Uniform Resource Locators)
of files on these sites have been generalized in this document.  The template
is shown as  "{INS_site/path_HERE}"  and  MUST be replaced by a real site and
path from this list when FTP'ing.  For example, here is a template with three
different FTP site replacements that all refer to copies of the same file:

      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/faqs/dmfaq66.zip
      ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/idgames/docs/faqs/dmfaq66.zip
      ftp://sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk/packages/idgames/docs/faqs/dmfaq66.zip
      ftp://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/idgames/docs/faqs/dmfaq66.zip

PLEASE  download  files from a  MIRROR  site near you to ease the load on the
primary site  ftp.cdrom.com .  Please upload files to ftp.cdrom.com  ONLY, as
uploads to other sites may well disappear due to the mirroring process.

  ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/                   [==Generic Mirror Template==]
  ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/idgames/  (Primary!)  [  209.155.82.18 California ]
  ftp://ftp.infomagic.com/pub/mirrors/Doom/     [  208.128.18.15 Arizona    ]
  ftp://mirrors.aol.com/pub/pc_games/doom/      [  152.163.200.5 Virginia   ]
  ftp://ftp.epix.net/pub/idgames/               [ 199.224.117.17 Pennsylvan.]
  ftp://ftp.gamers.org/pub/games/idgames/       [ 128.205.37.150 New York   ]
  ftp://sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk/packages/idgames/  [   193.63.255.4 England    ]
| ftp://ftp.mirror.nl/pub/mirror/idgames/       [   194.109.6.22 Netherlands ]
  ftp://ftp.task.gda.pl/pub/games/idgames/      [ 153.19.253.204 Poland     ]
  ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/pc/games/idgames/      [  130.238.253.4 Sweden     ]
| ftp://ftp.clinet.fi/pub/games/idgames/        [   194.100.0.13 Finland    ]
  ftp://ftp.telepac.pt/pub/idgames/             [   194.65.14.19 Portugal   ]
  ftp://ftp.ntua.gr/pub/vendors/idgames/        [147.102.222.210 Greece     ]
  ftp://ftp.is.co.za/games/id/                  [   196.4.160.12 S. Africa  ]
  ftp://ftp.powerup.com.au/pub/idgames/         [202.139.227.101 Australia  ]
  ftp://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/idgames/       [   192.111.32.2 Australia  ]

()=========================================================================()

  Section 0 - Introduction
    0A. What is DOOM?
    0B. What are the rec.games.computer.doom.* newsgroups?
    0C. What if my site doesn't carry these newsgroups?
    0D. Are binaries allowed in the r.g.c.d.* newsgroups?
    0E. What is the DOOM Help Service?

  Section 1 - Hot Topics
    1A. Where is the source code of DOOM?
    1B. Where are DOOM source ports for DOS, Linux, Win95, WinNT, OS/2,
        DecAlpha, AmigaOS, BeOS, AcornRiscOS?
    1C. Is there an OpenGL/3Dfx version of DOOM?
    1D. Where is the source code of Heretic and Hexen?
|   1E. Is there an OpenGL/3Dfx version of Heretic and Hexen?

  Section 2 - Versions & Patches
    2A. What is the latest version of the DOOM engine?
    2B. Where can I get DOOM for the PC?
    2C. Where are official DOOM ports for NeXT, SGI, QNX, Linux, Solaris,
        Mac, Win95, OS/2, BeOS, AcornRiscOS?
    2D. Where can I get patches for DOOM II?
    2E. Why can't I patch my version of DOOM II?
    2F. Where can I get the shareware version of (Mac)DOOM II?
    2G. What is Ultimate DOOM?
    2H. How come some PWADs don't work in Ultimate DOOM?
    2I. What is Final DOOM?
    2J. Is there going to be a DOOM III?
    2K. Where can I find historic versions of DOOM?
    2L. Where can I get Heretic and its FAQ?
    2M. What is "Ultimate" Heretic?
    2N. Where can I get Hexen and its FAQ?
    2O. What is the Hexen add-on?
    2P. Where can I get Strife and its FAQ?
    2Q. What is HACX?
    2R. Why can't I load my saved games after upgrading?

  Section 3 - Cheats & Secrets
    3A. What are the DOOM / DOOM II cheat codes?
    3B. What are the Heretic cheat codes?
    3C. Are there any deathmatch cheat codes?
    3D. What are the Hexen (demo) cheat codes?
    3E. What are the Strife (demo) cheat codes?
    3F. What are the HACX cheat codes?
    3G. What goes on at DOOM II Level 30 and how do I finish it?
    3H. What are those two secret levels (31 and 32) in DOOM II?
    3I. Are there lists of the secrets in DOOM, DOOM II, Final DOOM, Heretic,
        Hexen?
    3J. How can I take screenshots in DOOM, DOOM II, Heretic, Hexen, Strife?
    3K. How does the BFG9000 really work?

  Section 4 - PWADs: Playing & Editing
    4A. Can I play user-created PWADs with shareware DOOM or Heretic?
    4B. How can I play user-created PWADs?
    4C. How can I record, play and time demos?
    4D. What can I do about demos from a different version in a PWAD?
    4E. Why does DOOM crash when saving the game?
    4F. Where are the more spectacular PWADs I keep reading about?
    4G. Where is that separate deathmatch PWAD by id?
    4H. Where are the more spectacular demo movies I keep reading about?
    4I. How can I convert DOOM, DOOM II, Heretic, Hexen levels to each other?
    4J. What is the best editor?
    4K. Which level editors are available?
    4L. Where are some other common editing utilities?
    4M. What editors can be used on DOOM graphics?
    4N. How can I print maps of levels?
    4O. What are some DOOM-multiplaying utilities?

  Section 5 - Bits & Pieces
    5A. Does DOOM benefit from a FPU for floating point calculations?
    5B. Is there a multiplayer demo in DOOM?
    5C. What happened to the left/mid/right views?
    5D. What does the message about SWIFT support mean?
    5E. Why doesn't that Pain Elemental spit out Lost Souls?
    5F. How come that monster in DOOM II is invulnerable?
    5G. Is there a virus in DOOM II?
    5H. What does SPISPOPD mean, anyway?
    5I. What is a voodoo doll?
    5J. Where is that computer deathmatch patch?

  Section 6 - Lists
    6A. Are there lists of DOOMers who play over modems or via the Internet?
    6B. What iFrag trackers are out there?
    6C. Are there lists of good PWADs?

  Section 7 - FTP/WWW info
    7A. Where are some other FTP sites for DOOM-related files?
    7B. Where are some DOOM-related home pages for WWW?
    7C. How can I FTP and WWW by email?
    7D. Which DOOM mailing lists are there?
    7E. How do I release new stuff to the DOOM FTP sites?

  Section 8 - Essential Reading
    8A. Where can I get DOOM-related FAQs?
    8B. Where can I get DOOM-multiplaying FAQs?
    8C. Which documents help me with editing DOOM?

  Section 9 - How to reach id & other id info
    9A. How can I contact someone at id Software?
    9B. What is QUAKE?  Is there more info on it?
    9C. How is "id" pronounced and what does it stand for?
    9D. Who designed the levels in (Ultimate) DOOM and DOOM II?

()=========================================================================()

                      ==** WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD **==


() Section 0 - Introduction -----------------------------------------------()

0A. What is DOOM?
      DOOM is a 3D first person perspective action computer game created and
      published by id Software.  Important features are: highly immersive
      gameplay, texture mapped environment, modem/network play.  It can also
      be extensively modified, which has resulted in a huge number of add-on
      utilities and new levels.  See also:
        http://www.gamers.org/dhs/whatisdm/whatisdm.html

0B. What are the rec.games.computer.doom.* newsgroups?
      These 5 newsgroups are dedicated to the discussion of DOOM in any and
      all versions, sequels (DOOM II), ports and addons, as well as 3D action
      games (like Heretic) published by other companies that use DOOM-like
      concepts and techniques licensed from id Software.  Please read the
      posts entitled "() POSTING GUIDELINES" in r.g.c.d.announce for details.

0C. What if my site doesn't carry these newsgroups?
      Ask your news administrator to please add them.  While you're waiting,
      read the "Accessing the Internet by E-Mail FAQ" in {alt,news}.answers
      for info on how to read/post news articles via email/gophermail.

0D. Are binaries allowed in the r.g.c.d.* newsgroups?
      No.  Please don't post binaries to discussion newsgroups.  Again, read
      the "() POSTING GUIDELINES: No Binaries! Use Alt.Binaries.Doom" post in
      r.g.c.d.announce for details.

0E. What is the DOOM Help Service?
      The DHS makes its home in rec.games.computer.doom.help and aims to help
      (new) players by providing help files and answers to their questions.
        ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/misc/doomhelp.zip
        http://doomgate.gamers.org/dhs/
        mailto:[email-masked] (Ian Mapleson)

() Section 1 - Hot Topics -------------------------------------------------()

1A. Where is the source code of DOOM?
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/idstuff/source/doomsrc.zip
        Note: this is for Linux & X Windows, and has no sound/music support.

1B. Where are DOOM source ports for DOS, Linux, Win95, WinNT, OS/2,
    DecAlpha, AmigaOS, BeOS, AcornRiscOS?
      http://www.teamtnt.com/boompubl/ixboom.htm [BOOM & Win32-BOOM homepage]
      http://lxdoom.linuxgames.com/                     [Linux-BOOM homepage]
      http://www.frag.com/dosdoom/                         [DosDOOM homepage]
      http://www.frag.com/dosdoom/dosdoom061-linux-x86.zip    [Linux-DosDOOM]
      http://www.captured.com/ctfdoom/                     [CTFDOOM homepage]
      http://www.frag.com/doomlegacy/                  [DOOM Legacy homepage]
      http://zdoom.notgod.com/                               [ZDOOM homepage]
      http://user.tninet.se/~nfa771o/doomplus/               [DOOM+ homepage]
      http://www.frag.com/doom/                     [WinDoom/glDoom homepage]
      http://www.s2.org/ntdoom/                             [NTDOOM homepage]
      ftp://set.gmd.de/pub/misc/XFree86OS2/ports/xos2doom.zip   [XFree86/OS2]
      http://home.t-online.de/home/pbhd_/alphadoom.html  [AlphaDOOM homepage]
      http://www.wcdesign.com/Products/doom.html                  [BeOS port]
      http://www.forwiss.tu-muenchen.de/~dehmel/DIY.html  [Acorn RiscOS port]
      http://www.doomworld.com/ports/                 [overview of all ports]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/source/        [various ports of the source]
        For discussing ports and changes of the source, please use the
        r.g.c.d.editing newsgroup and the doom-editing mailing list [see 7D].
        For news of ports and developments, follow a DOOM news site [see 7B].

1C. Is there an OpenGL/3Dfx version of DOOM?
      http://www.frag.com/doom/
      http://www.frag.com/doomlegacy/
|     http://www.doomworld.com/doomgl/

1D. Where is the source code of Heretic and Hexen?
      http://www2.ravensoft.com/source/

1E. Is there an OpenGL/3Dfx version of Heretic and Hexen?
|     http://www.raven-games.com/kokak/Heretic.htm
|     http://www.raven-games.com/kokak/Hexen.htm

() Section 2 - Versions & Patches -----------------------------------------()

2A. What is the latest version of the DOOM engine?
      DOOM & Ultimate DOOM v1.9 and DOOM II v1.9 are the final versions; the
      latter is compatible with MacDOOM II v1.0 for PC<->Mac multi-playing.
      Compared to the previous v1.666's, sound and map bugs have been fixed.
      The map bugs in DOOM II v1.666 make multiplaying impossible on levels
      28 and 29.  Upgrading is recommended for various compatibility aspects.
        ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/faqs/wadchngs.txt  [lists of changes]

2B. Where can I get DOOM for the PC?
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/idstuff/doom/doom19s.zip   [2.45M shareware]
      Shareware Patches:
        ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/idstuff/doom/dms18_19.zip   [ 1.8 -> 1.9 ]
        ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/idstuff/doom/dm19spat.zip   [1.666-> 1.9 ]
        ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/idstuff/doom/dm1666sp.zip   [ 1.2 ->1.666]
      Registered Patches:
        ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/idstuff/doom/18_19drp.exe   [ 1.8 -> 1.9 ]
        ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/idstuff/doom/16_19drp.exe   [1.666-> 1.9 ]
        ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/idstuff/doom/12_19drp.exe   [ 1.2 -> 1.9 ]
        ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/idstuff/doom/11_19drp.exe   [ 1.1 -> 1.9 ]
      For details on FTPing & patching, see the DHS archive in section 0E or:
        http://www.gamers.org/dhs/helpdocs/ftpdoom.html
        http://www.gamers.org/dhs/helpdocs/patchinf.html

2C. Where are official DOOM ports for NeXT, SGI, QNX, Linux, Solaris,
    Mac, Win95, OS/2, BeOS, AcornRiscOS?
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/idstuff/doom/nextstep/NeXTdoom1_2.tar.gz
      http://www.omnigroup.com/Software/DoomII/
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/idstuff/doom/sgi/sgixdoom1.8.tar.gz
      ftp://quics.qnx.com/usr/free/qnx4/os/games/qnxdoom.tar.gz
      ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/games/doom/linuxxdoom.tar.gz
      ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/games/doom/linuxsdoom.tar.gz
        + ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/games/doom/sndserver.gz
        + ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/games/doom/doom1v18.wad.gz
        or ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/games/doom/linux-doom-1.8.tar.gz
        + ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/unix/musserver.tgz
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/idstuff/doom/sun/sundgadoom-1.8.tgz
        + ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/idstuff/doom/sun/sundoommouse.tar.Z
        alternatively: ftp://ftp.activesw.com/pub/doom/DoomArena-2.0.tar.gz
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/idstuff/doom/mac/MacDoomDemo.hqx
        MacDOOM II has been released and is for sale in retail stores only.
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/idstuff/doom/win95/doom95.zip
      DOOM for OS/2 was in development by IBM but is apparently cancelled.
      DOOM for BeOS is in development by Chris Herborth and a beta is now
        available.  See http://www.qnx.com/~chrish/Be/software/doom/
      DOOM for Acorn RiscOS is available from R-Comp Interactive:
        http://www.arsvcs.demon.co.uk/leisure/
      No official port is planned for Dec, HP, IBM, or other workstations.
      See section 1B for unofficial ports of the DOOM source code.

2D. Where can I get patches for DOOM II?
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/idstuff/doom2/d2_18_19.zip   [  1.8 -> 1.9 ]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/idstuff/doom2/d2_19pat.zip   [ 1.7a -> 1.9 ]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/idstuff/doom2/doom2p.zip [1.666/1.7 -> 1.7a]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/idstuff/doom2/16_19d2g.zip
                                                        [German 1.666 -> 1.9]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/idstuff/doom2/DOOM2~.BIN
                                                    [MacDOOM II 1.0 -> 1.0.2]
      For hints on patching DOOM II, see the DHS archive in section 0E or:
        http://www.gamers.org/dhs/helpdocs/dmiiptch.html

2E. Why can't I patch my version of DOOM II?
      If you have v1.666 dated 94/08/25, there is no patch.  That version was
      declared "pirated" by id; if you bought it legitimately, you should be
      able to return it for an upgrade.  There has been rumor of a legitimate
      patch, but no factual information appears to be available on this.

2F. Where can I get the shareware version of (Mac)DOOM II?
      It is NOT shareware.  It's for sale in retail stores, only.

2G. What is Ultimate DOOM?
      The original DOOM registered, extended with a new episode entitled "Thy
      Flesh Consumed", for sale in retail stores only.  It has no new weapons
      or difficulty levels. See http://www.idsoftware.com/killer/doomult.html
      A patch to upgrade from registered DOOM v1.9 is available:
        ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/idstuff/doom/19_udpat.exe
                                            [registered 1.9 -> Ultimate 1.9u]
        ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/games/doom/udoom-1.1.tar.gz
                                                            [LinuxDOOM patch]

2H. How come some PWADs don't work in Ultimate DOOM?
      PWADs like Trinity and A41_Coop that define new textures don't work in
      UDOOM because of a changed texture list (TEXTUREx).  To play these, use
      `deutex -join doom.wad <patch>.wad' to join the PWAD with the main wad,
      and `deutex -restore' to undo this.  [See 4L for DeuTex]
      Alternatively, extract TEXTURE1, TEXTURE2 and PNAMES into a temporary
      PWAD and 'join' this with the main PWAD (avoids modifying the IWAD).

2I. What is Final DOOM?
      Two variants of DOOM II by third-party authors, for sale in retail
      stores now.  Each has 32 levels and new graphics, but no new weapons or
      monsters.  See http://www.idsoftware.com/killer/findoom.html and
      http://www.gtgames.com/games/finaldoom/minisite/

2J. Is there going to be a DOOM III?
      No.  Id worked on QUAKE since 1996 [see 9B].  A unique version of DOOM
      has been released for the Nintendo Ultra 64, but this is not DOOM III.
      Additionally, there is now "The Ultimate DOOM" [see 2G].  id released a
      set of 21 DOOM II maps developed exclusively by PWAD authors, labeled
      "The Master Levels" [see http://www.idsoftware.com/killer/doommac.html
      and its FAQ, http://hjem.get2net.dk/henriklarsen/master.htm]  Lastly,
      there is now "Final DOOM" [see 2I].

2K. Where can I find historic versions of DOOM?
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/historic/  contains all shareware versions
        released by id, as well as all known alpha and beta versions.

2L. Where can I get Heretic and its FAQ?
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/idstuff/heretic/htic_v12.zip [2.87M sharew.]
      Shareware Patch:
        ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/idstuff/heretic/10_12shp.exe  [1.0 -> 1.2]
      Registered Patch:
        ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/idstuff/heretic/10_12rhp.exe  [1.0 -> 1.2]
      FAQs:
        ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/faqs/hticfaq1.zip
        http://www.gamers.org/dhs/helpdocs/hticfaq.html
        ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/faqs/hfaq15a.zip
      There is no Mac version of Heretic.
|     Heretic for Acorn RiscOS is available from R-Comp Interactive:
|       http://www.arsvcs.demon.co.uk/leisure/

2M. What is "Ultimate" Heretic?
      Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders is the original registered game,
      extended with two new episodes, for sale in retail stores only.  It has
      no new weapons or difficulty levels.  See:
        http://www.idsoftware.com/killer/heretic.html
      A patch to upgrade from registered Heretic v1.2 is available:
        ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/idstuff/heretic/htic13rp.exe
                                           [registered 1.2 -> "Ultimate" 1.3]

2N. Where can I get Hexen and its FAQ?
      Hexen is the sequel to Heretic (Raven), for sale in retail stores only.
        ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/idstuff/hexen/hexndemo.zip     [5.6M demo]
        ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/idstuff/hexen/mac/MacHexenDemo.hqx
      Full version patch:
        ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/idstuff/hexen/hexn11rp.exe    [1.0 -> 1.1]
      FAQ:
        http://www.connectcorp.net/~arne/
      See http://www.gtgames.com/games/hexen/minisite/ for story details.
      Hexen'95 has been released and is for sale in retail stores only.
      MacHexen has been released and is for sale in retail stores only.
|     Hexen for Acorn RiscOS is available from R-Comp Interactive:
|       http://www.arsvcs.demon.co.uk/leisure/

2O. What is the Hexen add-on?
      Hexen: Death Kings of the Dark Citadel is a data-disk with 3 new hubs
      (20 levels), 6 deathmatch levels and a few new enemies, for sale in
      retail stores only.  See http://www.idsoftware.com/killer/hexen.html
      There is a patch available to fix an audio problem:
        ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/idstuff/hexen/dkpatch.zip

2P. Where can I get Strife and its FAQ?
      Strife is a DOOM-like RPG game in a futuristic setting by Rogue, for
      sale in retail stores only.
        ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/roguestuff/strife11.zip        [4.8M demo]
      Full version patches:
        ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/roguestuff/v13_v131.exe      [1.3 -> 1.31]
        ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/roguestuff/12cd_v13.exe    [1.2 CD -> 1.3]
        ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/roguestuff/v12_v13.exe        [1.2 -> 1.3]
        ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/roguestuff/v12_dos.exe        [1.0 -> 1.2]
      FAQ:
|       http://www.rogue-ent.com/products/strife/help.shtml

2Q. What is HACX?
      HACX is an official add-on for DOOM II v1.9 by Banjo, for sale in
      retail stores.  See also http://www.banjosoft.com/sellhacx.htm
        ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/themes/hacx/hacxsw10.zip  [5.2M shareware]

2R. Why can't I load my saved games after upgrading?
      They are version dependent.  The upgrade may have changed levels such
      that a saved game becomes inconsistent and unable to load.  To bypass
      the check, use a binary editor near the beginning of the file to change
      eg. for v1.7->v1.9, the string "version 107" into "version 109".  YMMV.

() Section 3 - Cheats & Secrets -------------------------------------------()

3A. What are the DOOM / DOOM II cheat codes?
      iddqd      - Toggle God mode, 100% health; can't be injured, except in
                   teleport frags, DOOM II level 30 monster spawns, and
                   the dark room in E1M8 which ends the level (& episode)
      idkfa      - All Keys, Firearms, Ammo, 200% armor
      idfa       - All Firearms, Ammo, 200% armor                   [v1.666+]
      idchoppers - Chainsaw
      idbehold$  - Toggle power-up: on -> off -> on ($ = S, V, I, R, A or L)
                   S=Berserk Strength, V=Invulnerability, I=Invisibility,
                   R=Radiation Suit, A=Computer Automap, L=Light Amplifiers
      idspispopd - Toggle no clipping (walk through walls)             [DOOM]
      idclip     - Toggle no clipping (walk through walls)          [DOOM II]
      idclev##   - Warp to episode # mission # [DOOM] or level ## [DOOM II]
                   (deactivates '-nomonsters' command-line option)
      idmypos    - Display co-ordinates/angle in hexadecimal notation
      iddt       - Toggle map detail (can use in Map Mode only; repeatable)
                   3 modes: normal -> all walls -> all monsters (-> normal)
      idmus##    - Switch music to that from level ## [01-35 only]  [DOOM II]
      (Notes: To use the cheats, type 'em in while the game is in progress;
              There's no Backpack cheat; In Nightmare skill, only `idclev' &
              `iddt' are enabled; All cheats disabled in multi-player games)
      For more details, see "DOOM Cheat Codes" in rgcd.announce or:
        http://www.gamers.org/dhs/chtssplr/doomchts.html
      or alternatively: http://members.aol.com/ledmeister/doomcode.htm ,
      which also includes cheat codes for DOOM'95 and all console versions.

3B. What are the Heretic cheat codes?
      quicken  - Toggle God mode; can't be injured, except in teleport frags
      cockadoodledoo - Chicken mode; turns player into chicken w/ 30% health
      massacre - Kill all monsters on level
      ponce    - 100% health
      rambo    - All Weapons, full Ammo (incl. Bag of Holding), 200% armor
      skel     - All Keys
      shazam   - Power mode; doubles power of weapons (== Tome of Power)
      gimme$#  - Get artifact; $ = [a-j], # = [1-9] = artifact count;
                 a=Ring of Invincibility, b=Shadowsphere, c=Quartz Flask,
                 d=Mystic Urn, e=Tome of Power, f=Torch, g=Time Bomb of the
                 Ancients, h=Morph Ovum, i=Wings of Wrath, j=Chaos Device;
                 shareware version: d,j = bad input; registered version:
                 z0 = 5 of each artifact; maximum number of artifacts = 16
      kitty    - Toggle no clipping (walk through walls)
      engage## - Warp to episode # mission #
                 (does not deactivate '-nomonsters' command-line option)
      ticker   - Display fps dots (fps = 70 / <dots+1>)
      noise    - Display sound debug info
      ravmap   - Toggle map detail (can use in Map Mode only; repeatable)
                 3 modes: normal -> all walls -> all monsters (-> normal)
      iddqd    - "trying to cheat, eh?  now you die!"
      idkfa    - "cheater - you don't deserve weapons"
      (Notes: To use the cheats, type 'em in while the game is in progress;
              There is no cheat for the Map Scroll; In Black Plague skill,
              only `ravmap' is enabled; All cheats disabled in multi-player
              games)

3C. Are there any deathmatch cheat codes?
      One special cheat code to display your opponent(s) in deathmatch was
      discovered. To activate, in Map Mode keep Alt down and type `iddt' four
      times.  This works in DOOM / DOOM II but not in Heretic with `ravmap'.
      It was removed with the v1.9 patches to DOOM & DOOM II.

3D. What are the Hexen (demo) cheat codes?
    demo version|full version
    bgokey       satan       - God mode; can't be injured, except in teleport
                               frags, when falling from extreme heights, and
                               by the large spikes shooting out of the ground
    ebiessman    deliverance - Pig mode; turns player into pig w/ 30% health
    cstika       butcher     - Carnage; kill all monsters on level
    sgurno       clubmed     - 100% health
    crhinehart   nra         - All Weapons, full Mana, full Armor
    mraymondjudy locksmith   - All Keys
    braffel      indiana     - Full Inventory; max. 25 of each artifact
    tmoore       sherlock    - All Puzzle items
    rjohnson     casper      - Toggle no clipping (walk through walls)
    bpelletier## visit##     - Warp to level ## [demo: 01-04; full: 01-31,41]
                               (does not deactivate '-nomonsters' command
                                line option)
    init         init        - Reload level from disk
    plipo[0-2]   shadowcaster[0-2] - Change player class: 0 = Fighter,
                                     1 = Cleric, 2 = Mage
    mwagabaza##  puke##      - Run script ## [01-99]
    jsumwalt     where       - Display map ## & x/y/z co-ordinates in decimal
                               notation
    rrettenmund  ticker      - Display fps dots (fps = 70 / <dots+1>)
    kschilder    noise       - Display sound debug info
    pmacarther   mrjones     - Display version info
    reveal       mapsco      - Toggle map detail (can use in Map Mode only;
                               repeatable)  3 modes: normal -> all walls ->
                               all monsters (-> normal)
    quicken      martek      - 1st time: "trying to cheat? that's one...";
                               2nd time: "that's two...";  3rd time: "that's
                               three! time to die."
    rambo        conan       - "cheater - you don't deserve weapons"
    wewin                    - disabled (wins the game; only in first demo
                               version)
                 ~##         - Play track ## of a CD
      (Notes: To use the cheats, type 'em in while the game is in progress;
              All cheats are disabled in Titan/Pope/Archimage skill and in
              multi-player games)

3E. What are the Strife (demo) cheat codes?
    demo v.|full version
    ibgod   omnipotent - Toggle God mode; can't be injured, except in
                         teleport frags
    stuff              - God mode; "guns", "open"; 100% health;  repeatable:
                         +10% health, max. 200%; +1 Teleporter Beacon, max. 3
    killem  stonecold  - Kill all enemies on level
    guns    boomstix   - All Weapons, full Ammo, 200% armor
    open    jimmy      - All Keys (repeatable); 3 modes: none -> regular keys
                         -> special keys (-> none)
    money   donnytrump - All cash and artifacts (repeatable); max. 100
                         artifacts
    stic    gripper    - Toggle stealth boots (demo side effect: "tic")
    listit$ pumpup$    - Toggle/get power-up ($ = B, I, M, H, P, S, T);
                         B=Berserk strength (->end of hub?), I=Invisibility
                         (toggle), M=Mask (toggle), H=Health (repeatable;
                         max. 50/50/20), P=Backpack, S=up Stats (repeatable;
                         max. 100/100), T=Targeter
    spirit  elvis      - Toggle no clipping (walk through walls)
    goto##  rift##     - Warp to level ## [demo: 32-34; full: 01-34]
    moveme# scoot#     - Teleport to map spot
    ilive              - Toggle auto use health (== F5)
    aibrain            - Toggle AI
            lego       - Get a piece of Sigil (repeatable; max. 5 pieces)
    tic     dots       - Display fps dots (fps = 70 / <dots+1>)
    idmypos gps        - Display co-ordinates/angle in hexadecimal notation
    iddt    topo       - Toggle map detail (can use in Map Mode only;
                         repeatable)  3 modes: normal -> all walls ->
                         all enemies (-> normal)
    idmus## spin##     - Switch music to track ## [demo: 01-10; full: 00-35]
    (Notes: To use the cheats, type 'em in while the game is in progress;
            Even in Bloodbath skill, all cheats are enabled)

3F. What are the HACX cheat codes?
      wuss     - Toggle God mode, 100% health; can't be injured, except in
                 teleport frags
      blast    - All Keys, Firearms, Ammo, 200% armor
      ammo     - All Firearms, Ammo, 200% armor
      zap      - Chainsaw
      seeit    - Show power-up menu
      superman - Toggle Invulnerability
      whacko   - Toggle Berserk Strength
      ghost    - Toggle Invisibility
      boots    - Toggle Vulcan Boots
      where    - Toggle Computer Automap
      bright   - Toggle Light Amplifiers
      walk     - Toggle no clipping (walk through walls)
      warpme## - Warp to level ## [01-05 sh.w., 01-21 full]
                 (deactivates '-nomonsters' command line option)
      wheream  - Display co-ordinates/angle in hexadecimal notation
      show     - Toggle map detail (can use in Map Mode only; repeatable)
                 3 modes: normal -> all walls -> all monsters (-> normal)
      tunes##  - Switch music to that from level ## [01-05 sh.w. 01-21 full]
      Notes: To use the cheats, type 'em in while the game is in progress;
             There's no Backpack cheat; In Insanity skill, only `warpme' &
             `show' are enabled; All cheats disabled in multi-player games.

3G. What goes on at DOOM II Level 30 and how do I finish it?
      The backwards-sounding voice says, when played in reverse:
        "To win the game, you must kill me, John Romero."
      This is the only backward sound-clip.  A reversed .WAV file is at:
        ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/misc/dm2sm30.zip
        Originals are at: http://www.bpmusic.com/frame_little.html (Fact #4)
      The head on the pole behind the Demon is DOOM programmer John Romero's.
        The only way to enter that area is to use the `no clipping' cheat.
      To end the level without cheating, read the recipe & watch the demos:
        ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/faqs/d2l30rcp.txt
        ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/lmps/COMPET-N/doom2/lv30-*.zip

3H. What are those two secret levels (31 and 32) in DOOM II?
      They are levels from Wolfenstein-3D, predecessor of DOOM.  They are
      accessed from level 15 through the secret exit in the south-west.  See
      3I for a description.  They are not present in the German version.
      There are 4 Commander Keen's `hanging around' in level 32.  Shoot them
      to reveal the switch to end the level.  Commander Keen and Wolf3D are
      earlier game series created by id and distributed through Apogee.

3I. Are there lists of the secrets in DOOM, DOOM II, Final DOOM, Heretic,
    Hexen?
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/faqs/d1secret.zip      [DOOM I Secrets]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/faqs/e4secret.zip   [Ultimate DOOM Ep4]
      http://www.gamers.org/games/udoom/secrets/
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/faqs/d1keys11.faq     [DOOM I Keys FAQ]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/faqs/d2secret.zip     [DOOM II Secrets]
      http://www.gamers.org/games/doom2/secrets/
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/faqs/dm2_keys.zip    [DOOM II Keys FAQ]
      http://www.gamers.org/dhs/chtssplr/keyfaq.html
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/faqs/hrsecret.zip     [Heretic Secrets]
      http://www.gamers.org/games/heretic/secrets/
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/faqs/srsecret.zip [SerpentRiders Ep4&5]
        See rgcd.announce for monthly posts of all of the above.
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/faqs/d2wt.zip     [DOOM II Walkthrough]
      http://www.teamtnt.com/ctr_secr.htm                [Final DOOM Secrets]
      http://www.connectcorp.net/~arne/levels/hexenwt.html  [Hexen Walkthrgh]
      http://www.connectcorp.net/~arne/dkotdc.txt
                                        [Hexen Death Kings hub 1 Walkthrough]
      http://www.gadnet.com/hexen.htm   [Hexen Death Kings hub 2 Walkthrough]

3J. How can I take screenshots in DOOM, DOOM II, Heretic, Hexen, Strife?
      Start them with `doom -devparm', `doom2 -devparm', `heretic -ravpic',
      `hexen -ravpic' or `strife -devparm'; press F1 to create numbered .PCX
      files in the games' directory.
      `doom[2] -devparm' and `strife -devparm' will also display fps dots
      (fps = 70 / <dots+1>).

3K. How does the BFG9000 really work?
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/faqs/bfgfaq21.zip         [BFG9000 FAQ]
      http://www.gamers.org/docs/FAQ/bfgfaq/
        or see "DOOM BFG9000 FAQ" posted monthly in rgcd.announce.

() Section 4 - PWADs: Playing & Editing -----------------------------------()

4A. Can I play user-created PWADs with shareware DOOM or Heretic?
      No.  id requested that PWADs work only with registered/retail versions.
      Most do.  Anyway, `-file' was removed from shareware DOOM as of v1.666.
      For an explanation of (P)WADs, see the DHS archive in section 0E or:
        http://www.gamers.org/dhs/helpdocs/awadis.html

4B. How can I play user-created PWADs?
      doom    -file <name.wad> [-skill <1-5>] [-warp <epis.1-3/4> <miss.1-9>]
      doom2   -file <name.wad> [-skill <1-5>] [-warp <map 01-32>]
      heretic -file <name.wad> [-skill <1-5>] [-warp <epis.1-3> <miss.1-9>]
      hexen   -file <name.wad> [-skill <1-5>] [-warp <map ##>] [-class <0-2>]
        demo version: map ## = 1-4;  full version: map ## = 01-31,41
      Ultra-Viol. E1M1 example: doom -file rrward02.wad -skill 4 -warp 1 1
        `doom[2] -skill 0' (DOS only) starts a game without any items at all.
      For more details on using PWADs, see the DHS archive in section 0E or:
        http://www.gamers.org/dhs/helpdocs/pwaduse.html

4C. How can I record, play and time demos?
      doom[2] -record   <name w/o .lmp> [-file, -skill, -warp as in 4B]
      doom[2] -playdemo <name w/o .lmp> [-file as in 4B]
      doom[2] -timedemo <name w/o .lmp> [-file as in 4B]
        fps = 35 * <gametics> / <realtics>
      For more details on using demos, see the DHS archive in section 0E or:
        http://www.gamers.org/dhs/helpdocs/demomake.html

4D. What can I do about demos from a different version in a PWAD?
      Bypass the demo by warping to the appropriate level [see 4B].  Or start
      a new game as soon as the title screen is shown.  Or remove the demo:
        ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/wad_tools/killdemo.zip

4E. Why does DOOM crash when saving the game?
      A very large level with many objects can exceed the savegame buffer as
      you try to save it, and thus crash the game.  Level authors should try
      to keep the size of the savegame files below about 180Kb to avoid this.

4F. Where are the more spectacular PWADs I keep reading about?
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/themes/aliens/doom2atc.zip  [AL|ENS-TC DmII]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/themes/aliens/u_alntc{12}.zip [Ultimate-ATC]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/themes/aliens/alntc19{ab}.zip [AL|ENS-TC1.9]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/themes/aliens/alientc{12}.zip    [AL|ENS-TC]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/themes/aliens/aliens22.zip      [AliensDOOM]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/themes/starwars/starwars.zip     [Star Wars]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/themes/startrek/startrek.zip [Star Trek TNG]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/themes/mm/mm_allup.zip        [Memento Mori]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/themes/mm/mm2.zip          [Memento Mori II]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/themes/TeamTNT/icarus.zip [Icarus: Alien V.]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/levels/doom2/m-o/obtic11.zip  [Obituary TiC]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/levels/doom2/m-o/osiris.zip         [Osiris]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/themes/TeamTNT/eternal.zip  [Eternal DOOM 3]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/themes/university/trinity2.zip [Tr. College]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/themes/university/trinityu.zip [Ultimate p.]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/themes/university/htrinity.zip  [Heretic v.]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/levels/doom/s-u/subway21.zip [Wash DC Subwy]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/levels/doom/s-u/uac_dead.zip  [Doomsday UAC]

4G. Where is that separate deathmatch PWAD by id?
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/idstuff/doom2/idmap01.zip    [DOOM II MAP01]
      Heretic registered includes the same level (with monsters) as E4M1.

4H. Where are the more spectacular demo movies I keep reading about?
|     http://doom.alpha.rulez.org/doom2/movie/30nm4949.zip
                                     [DOOM II MAP01-32 on Nightmare in 49:49]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/lmps/dht-exams/dht5/titles/d1s/d1s-sw.zip
                              [DOOM 1 Schwarzenegger 3 episodes on Nightmare]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/lmps/dht-exams/dht5/titles/d2s/d2s-aak.zip
                              [DOOM 2 Schwarzenegger all levels on Nightmare]
      ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/idgames2/planetquake/qdq/DdQ-1941.zip
                                  [DOOM Done Quick 4 episodes on UV in 19:41]
      ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/idgames2/planetquake/qdq/D2dQ2116.zip
      [DOOM II Done Quick on UV in 21:16, third-person perspective camera(!)]

4I. How can I convert DOOM, DOOM II, Heretic, Hexen levels to each other?
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/wad_tools/dm2cnv32.zip [Gen. convertr]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/wad_tools/conv2hex.zip [D/D2/H->Hexen]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/wad_tools/wad1to2b.zip [DOOM->DOOM II]

4J. What is the best editor?
      There is no single "best" editor.  Personal preferences make all the
      difference.  If you have the time, try them all [see 4K], otherwise try
      just the ones more recently updated (as they tend to have more features
      and fewer bugs), and see which one(s) you like best.  Dedicated tools
      [see 4L] are useful for special things.  For an overview, see:
        ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/editing/dmedit16.zip  [Editing Guide]
        http://www.gamers.org/~javanree/dmedit16.html
          or see "DOOM Editing Guide" posted monthly in rgcd.announce.

4K. Which level editors are available?
      The leading columns indicate support for DOOM(D), DOOM II(2), Ultimate
      DOOM(U), Heretic(H), Hexen(X) and Strife(S).
  D      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/level_edit/deu/deu521gcc.zip
  D2UH   ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/level_edit/deu/deu53b9.zip
  D2UHX  ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/level_edit/dck362.zip
  D2UHX  ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/level_edit/deth392.zip
  D2UHXS ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/level_edit/deep884s.zip
| D2UHX  ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/level_edit/dmeb422.zip
  D2U    ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/level_edit/ed209_11.zip
  D2 H   ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/level_edit/edmap131.zip /edmap140.zip
  D2 H   ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/level_edit/waded/waded183.zip
  D2 H   ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/level_edit/ide-b725.zip
  D2UHX  ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/level_edit/deu/w16deu59.zip [Windows]
  D2UHX  ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/level_edit/wauthor.zip [Windows]
  D2UH   ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/level_edit/dmcad61.zip [Windows]
           (+ ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/misc/vbrun300.exe for .DLL)
  D2UHX  ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/level_edit/wadst15b.zip [Windows]
          (+ ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/misc/vbrun300.exe for .DLL)
  D2U    ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/level_edit/doomed42.zip [Windows]
  D2     ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/level_edit/rgdmed.zip [Windows]
  D2UHXS ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/level_edit/deep97.zip [Win95]
  D2UH   ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/level_edit/deu/deuos11d.zip [OS/2]
  D2 H   ftp://ftp.cis.ufl.edu/pub/staff/thoth/doom/pfme/pfme.b2.gz [Linux/X]
  D2 H   http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/yadex/ [Linux/X]
  D2U X  http://www.ozemail.com.au/~pmd/hellmaker.html [Mac]
  D2U    http://www.ai.mit.edu/people/jknight/demon.html [Mac]

4L. Where are some other common editing utilities?
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/graphics_edit/deutex/deutex36.zip
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/graphics_edit/deutex/wintex43.zip [Win]
        (+ ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/misc/vbrun300.exe for .DLL)
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/graphics_edit/nwt14b1.zip / nwt103.zip
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/level_edit/node_builders/idbsp11b.zip
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/level_edit/node_builders/bsp23x.zip
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/level_edit/node_builders/warm16.zip
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/level_edit/node_builders/zen098a.zip
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/level_edit/node_builders/rmb30.zip
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/misc/endm101.zip       [ENDOOM editor]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/misc/ted12.zip         [ENDOOM editor]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/exe_edit/dhe31.zip          [DeHackEd]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/exe_edit/ldhe-bin.0.8a.tar.gz  [Linux]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/exe_edit/hhe11.zip        [Heretic v.]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/exe_edit/hex035b.zip  [Hexen .exe ed.]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/misc/lmput230.zip     [.LMP convertor]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/misc/lmpc280.zip      [.LMP convertor]
      http://www.ozemail.com.au/~pmd/doominator.html        [Mac .exe editor]

4M. What editors can be used on DOOM graphics?
      ftp://x2ftp.oulu.fi/pub/msdos/programming/grutils/neopt31c.zip
      ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/win3/graphics/psp311a.zip  [Windows]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/graphics_edit/palettes.zip

4N. How can I print maps of levels?
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/misc/dmpsmu26.zip   [D2UH, PostScript]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/misc/dmps20.zip   [D only, PostScript]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/misc/doomhpgl.zip      [D only, HP-GL]
        Also, several editors [see 4K] can print maps.  Try WadAuthor, DeeP,
        DEU 5.3b and EgoED/RGDmEd.

4O. What are some DOOM-multiplaying utilities?
      For simple serial/network setups, try the DM (DeathManager) utility
        that comes with the latest versions of all DOOM-engine games.
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/serial/bnudm126.zip [SERSETUP replac.]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/serial/ser7-5.zip [SERSETUP replacemt]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/serial/rmsetup.zip [Modem 2-4 players]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/serial/jserve02.zip [Modem 2-4 playrs]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/frontends/ss20.zip [Modem 2-4 players]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/serial/psetup11.zip   [Parallel cable]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/network/netdoom.zip      [IPX drivers]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/frontends/ul205.zip      [UltraLaunch]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/frontends/doomen18.zip
                                                        [Network Menu System]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/serial/sirdoom.zip    [SIRDOOM client]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/serial/apcidm56.zip  [APCiDOOM client]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/serial/apciht21.zip [APCiHERETIC clnt]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/network/ifrag221.zip [TCP/IP Internet]

() Section 5 - Bits & Pieces ----------------------------------------------()

5A. Does DOOM benefit from a FPU for floating point calculations?
      No.  All calculations in DOOM 1.1 and beyond use integers.  Hence,
      DOOM does not suffer from the Pentium floating point bug in any way.

5B. Is there a multiplayer demo in DOOM?
      The second demo in DOOM shareware v1.666 is a multiplayer demo of E1M5.
      Press F12 to toggle between the two players' views.

5C. What happened to the left/mid/right views?
      It was dropped in the v1.2 upgrade when the network driver was
      rewritten to use addressed packets instead of broadcast packets.  See
      also: http://www2.crosswinds.net/buffalo/~sarkee/doom/3view.htm

5D. What does the message about SWIFT support mean?
      "CyberMan: Wrong mouse driver - no SWIFT support" is a normal startup
      message when no Logitech CyberMan(tm) controller is connected.  It does
      not affect a regular mouse.

5E. Why doesn't that Pain Elemental spit out Lost Souls?
      This is sometimes observed at the beginning of a level.  The cause is
      that no more than 20 Lost Souls are allowed on a level at any time.  If
      a level starts out with more, Pain Elementals will be initially idle.
      Another phenomenon is stray Lost Souls _outside_ the playing area.
      When a Pain Elemental explodes the resultant Lost Souls are spawned at
      a distance that can have them end up across nearby perimeter walls.
      Btw, Lost Souls are never counted in the kills tally at a level's end.

5F. How come that monster in DOOM II is invulnerable?
      When a (dead) monster is squashed under a door or crushing ceiling and
      then resurrected by an Arch-Vile, it becomes invulnerable (and can walk
      through walls) and can only be killed by hitting nearby walls with
      rockets, or by blowing up nearby barrels.

5G. Is there a virus in DOOM II?
      Not in copies distributed by GTI, id's authorized DOOM II distributor.
      But, in F-Prot documentation from v2.14 onwards, this is mentioned:
        Goldbug is a complex virus, made in USA.  It managed to slip
        into international circulation in summer 1994.  Goldbug was,
        apparently on purpose, attached to a beta version of the
        game DOOM.  This archive was circulated in BBSs worldwide.
      Another virus associated with DOOM II is Tai-Pan.666, but it does not
      activate, is not intentionally destructive and isn't related to DOOM II
      per se, pirated or not.  F-Prot v2.16+ detects it and can disinfect it.

5H. What does SPISPOPD mean, anyway?
      Smashing Pumpkins Into Small Piles Of Putrid Debris.  Originally posed
      as a pun on DOOM in Fall 1993, it was turned into a real game and made
      it into DOOM as a cheat code.  See also:
        http://www.gamers.org/~fpv/SPISPOPD.FAQ
      The actual game and its FAQ can be found at:
        ftp://ftp.gamers.org/pub/games/uwp-uml/misc/spispopd.zip
        ftp://ftp.gamesdomain.co.uk/pub/faqs/SPISPOPD.faq

5I. What is a voodoo doll?
      Adding additional Player 1 starts to a level results in immobile Player
      figures, or voodoo dolls.  When you shoot them, you will hurt and kill
      yourself.  When you first (get) hurt yourself, and then kill the doll,
      you'll become "undead", still able to move around without weapons, 'til
      a monster actually kills you.

5J. Where is that computer deathmatch patch?
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/exe_edit/patches/gtt.zip

() Section 6 - Lists ------------------------------------------------------()

6A. Are there lists of DOOMers who play over modems or via the Internet?
|     http://www.qc-trilogy.net/Gib/                    [DeathMatch Database]
      http://www.universal.nl/USERS/Anneveldt/ [Dutch/European Modemfunsters]
      http://online.prevezanos.com/multiplayer/        [German Modem Players]
      http://www.worldnet.net/~belmon/deathm.html      [French Modem Players]
      http://www.teleport.com/~caustic/      [Multiplayer Combat Simulations]
      http://homepages.together.net/~darken/bbslist.htm [Game Connect. BBSes]
      See also rgcd.announce for occasional posts of some of these lists.

6B. What iFrag trackers are out there?
|     linux.kali.net           (205.244.188.39,6666) [v2.2]   [North America]
      l27.d20.quake.net        (204.188.20.27,6666)  [v2.2]   [North America]
      ren.netconnect.com.au    (203.7.198.1,6666)    [v2.2]       [Australia]
        Some of these trackers may no longer be active.

6C. Are there lists of good PWADs?
      http://www.gamers.org/~williams/            [All-Time Best Levels List]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/levels/reviews/dmrk1031.txt
                                                     [DeathMatch WAD Ranking]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/levels/reviews/ticrev0{123}.zip
                                                          [TiC's WAD Reviews]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/levels/reviews/abwadl31.zip
                                              [Another 'The best' pwads list]
      http://www.toolworks.com/doom/            ["Recreational" DOOM reviews]
      http://home.worldnet.fr/~bdevaux/Doomoscope/      [Wadoscope & indexes]
      http://www.geocities.com/~gestalt666/top32.html      [Best WAD authors]

() Section 7 - FTP/WWW info -----------------------------------------------()

7A. Where are some other FTP sites for DOOM-related files?
      ftp://ftp.mantis.co.uk/pub/doom/                [rgcd.announce Archive]
|     ftp://ftp.gamers.org/pub/archives/doom/articles/ [rgcd.announce mirror]
      ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/    [id Software official distr. site]
      See "DOOM: FTP and WWW Sites" in rgcd.announce for a full list, or:
        http://www.gamers.org/pub/archives/doom/periodic/FTP_WWW_sites.html

7B. Where are some DOOM-related home pages for WWW?
      http://doomgate.gamers.org/               [DoomGate: Portal to DoomWeb]
      http://doomgate.gamers.org/dhs/                     [DOOM Help Service]
      http://www.idsoftware.com/                       [id Software homepage]
      http://www.ravensoft.com/                     [Raven Software homepage]
      http://www.rogue-ent.com/                [Rogue Entertainment homepage]
|     http://www.uk.research.att.com/~fms/dht/        [DOOM Honorific Titles]
|     http://www.hszk.bme.hu/~ha211/compet-n/         [COMPET-N demo archive]
      http://www.doomworld.com/                                   [DoomWorld]
      http://www.doomnation.com/                                 [DoomNation]
      See "DOOM: FTP and WWW Sites" in rgcd.announce for a full list, or:
        http://www.gamers.org/pub/archives/doom/periodic/FTP_WWW_sites.html

7C. How can I FTP and WWW by email?
      Send a message with `HELP' in the body (w/o the quotes) to an ftpmail
      server near you: [email-masked] (USA), [email-masked]
      (Finland), [email-masked] (Sweden), for FTP-by-email information.
      See "DOOM-related Downloads via E-mail" in rgcd.announce, and the FAQ
      below, for additional ftpmail servers and tutorials on using them.
      Send a mesage with `HELP' in the body to [email-masked] for
      WWW-by-email information.  See the FAQ below for more webmail servers.
      The "Accessing the Internet by E-Mail FAQ" shows how to access FTP and
      WWW sites (and much more) by email only:
        news:news.answers,news.newusers.questions,alt.internet.services
        mailto:[email-masked]     Enter only this line in the BODY:
          send usenet/news.answers/internet-services/access-via-email
      See http://www.netservs.com/mrcool/stats.htm for server statistics, or:
        mailto:[email-masked]        Enter only this line in the BODY:
          send file stats.txt

7D. Which DOOM mailing lists are there?
      Send a message with `HELP' & `LISTS' in the body (without the quotes
      and on separate lines) to [email-masked] for info on the DOOM
      editing mailing list.  Send `INFO <list>' for specific details.  See
      http://www.gamers.org/forums/hypermail/doom-editing/ for the archive.

7E. How do I release new stuff to the DOOM FTP sites?
      Describe it in a text file; whenever applicable, it's preferred to use:
        ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/editing/wadtempt.zip  [PWAD Template]
        ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/lmps/forms/lmp_template.txt [LMP Template]
        ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/exe_edit/patches/pat_auth.txt  [DHE]
      Pack your new level/utility/etc. together with its description using
      PkZip or InfoZip.  FTP to ftp.cdrom.com:/pub/idgames/incoming, read the
      message and set binary mode.  Upload _both_ the text file and zip file.
      See the DHS tutorial on FTP downloading and uploading for details:
        http://www.gamers.org/dhs/helpdocs/ftpintro.html

() Section 8 - Essential Reading ------------------------------------------()

8A. Where can I get DOOM-related FAQs?
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/misc/doomhelp.zip   [DOOM Help Service]
      http://doomgate.gamers.org/dhs/
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/faqs/dmfaq66.zip    [Official DOOM FAQ]
      http://www.gamers.org/docs/FAQ/doomfaq/
      http://www.cmpharm.ucsf.edu/~troyer/sgidoomfaq.html      [SGI DOOM FAQ]
        or ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/idstuff/doom/sgi/sgidoomfaq.txt
      ftp://quics.qnx.com/usr/free/Tech_Support_FAQ/other/qnxdoom.faq.txt
                                                               [QNX DOOM FAQ]
      http://jcomm.uoregon.edu/~stevev/Linux-DOOM-FAQ.html   [Linux DOOM FAQ]
      http://www.gamers.org/~rkinion/macdoom/faq.html          [Mac DOOM FAQ]
      http://www.vidgames.com/ps/hints/doomfaq.html       [Sony PSX DOOM FAQ]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/faqs/snesdm13.zip       [SNES DOOM FAQ]
|     ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/faqs/dm64faq.txt         [N64 DOOM FAQ]
|     ftp://ftp.gamesdomain.com/pub/faqs/doom.txt      [Sega Saturn DOOM FAQ]
|     http://www.acornarcade.com/features/gamesupport/doom/faq.html
|                                                     [Acorn RiscOS DOOM FAQ]

8B. Where can I get DOOM-multiplaying FAQs?
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/multiplayer/serial.faq     [Serial FAQ]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/multiplayer/modem.faq    [Init Strings]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/multiplayer/doommd.txt     [Modem Help]
        or http://www.gamers.org/dhs/helpdocs/modemstr.html
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/multiplayer/smooth.zip    [Smooth Play]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/multiplayer/ipxnet20.faq  [Network FAQ]
      http://www.gamers.org/dhs/helpdocs/doomnet.html         [Network Guide]
        or see "DOOM on a Local Network via IPX" in rgcd.announce.
      http://www.comcat.com/~ansinn/lan4gamers.html      [IPX LAN Gaming FAQ]
      http://www.gamers.org/docs/FAQ/editdfaq.html        [iFrag through PPP]
      http://www.gamers.org/dhs/helpdocs/inetdoom.html    [Internet DOOM FAQ]
        or see "DOOM on the Internet via TCP/IP" in rgcd.announce.

8C. Which documents help me with editing DOOM?
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/editing/dmspec16.zip
                                                [WAD layout & EXE data specs]
      http://www.gamers.org/dEngine/doom/              [errata and additions]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/editing/wadrefr.zip   [reference lists]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/editing/unofspec.htc [Heretic addendum]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/editing/hexspc09.zip   [Hexen addendum]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/editing/handbk21.zip  [Design Handbook]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/editing/hndbkad1.zip  [Handb. addendum]
      http://www.apci.net/~ron1701/
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/editing/dmedit16.zip    [Editing Guide]
      http://www.gamers.org/~javanree/dmedit16.html
        or see "DOOM Editing Guide" posted monthly in rgcd.announce.
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/editing/design12.faq [Level design FAQ]
        or see "DOOM Level Design FAQ" posted monthly in rgcd.announce.
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/editing/dmldgl10.zip
                                                    [DeathMatch Level design]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/editing/metrics.zip    [Design metrics]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/editing/lntyp101.zip    [Linedef types]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/editing/textures.zip [Managing texturs]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/editing/texpatch.zip   [Textures table]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/editing/texpat2.zip  [TexturesII table]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/editing/texture.zip  [Text. Descript'n]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/editing/spcial12.zip  [Special Effects]
      http://www.cybernet.dk/users/jensh/doom/special/
      http://www.warande.ruu.nl/~glahaut/edit.htm   [Special Effects Editing]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/editing/lmp213.zip   [LMP format specs]
      http://www.planetquake.com/demospecs/lmp/
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/editing/dmguide.zip
                                                      [Getting Started Guide]
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/editing/tutorial.txt [DEU MiniTutorial]
      http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/2979/         [DEU Beginner's Guide]
      See also the documents that come with various editors and tutorials in:
        ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/utils/level_edit/deu/
        http://www.gamers.org/dhs/helpdocs/pwadinfo.html

() Section 9 - How to reach id & other id info ----------------------------()

9A. How can I contact someone at id Software?
      [email-masked] (Barrett Alexander)    To order DOOM: 1-800-IDGAMES
      [email-masked] (Tech Supp.)  DOOM II help (GTI): 1-212-686-9432
        Technical Support:
          Phone: 1-303-339-7111            Fax: 1-303-330-7553
          Mail : id Software, c/o StarPak, P.O. Box 1230, Greeley, CO 80632
      [email-masked] (Todd Hollenshead, CEO)
      [email-masked] (John Carmack, Programmer)

9B. What is QUAKE?  Is there more info on it?
      It was id's next project after DOOM.  See sources below for info.
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/idstuff/quake/quake106.zip  [9.0M shareware]
      http://www.idsoftware.com/quake/     news:rec.games.computer.quake.*
      ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/idgames2/docs/faqs/q-faq20.zip      [Quake FAQ]

9C. How is "id" pronounced and what does it stand for?
      Jay Wilbur: `It is pronounced "id" as in "DID" without the leading "D".
      It is not EYE DEE.  id has everything to do with Freudian theory.'  The
      description that used to be in id's 'help' finger reads: `id: the one
      of the three divisions of the psyche in psychoanalytic theory that is
      completely unconscious and is the source of psychic energy derived from
      instinctual needs and drives.'

9D. Who designed the levels in (Ultimate) DOOM and DOOM II?
      ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/docs/faqs/designer.txt

()=========================================================================()

The RGCD FAQ was compiled by John Van Essen <[email-masked]> and
Frans P. de Vries <[email-masked]> from information publicly available on
the Internet, with significant initial contributions from members of the RGCD
Support Team.  Copyright (c) 1994-1999 by F.P. de Vries.
DOOM, Heretic, Hexen and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
Additional credits to other contributors on the 'net, you know who you are :)

Please send corrections and additions to Frans P. de Vries <[email-masked]>
And remember, if it ain't in here, I probably don't know about it, so ask on
the appropriate rgcd.* newsgroup first and then send me the answer.  DOOM on!