Subject: ()= Need Help with DOOM/][ or Heretic? Read this =()
From: [email-masked] (Richard Ward)
Newsgroups: alt.binaries.doom

Need help?  Looking for people who know the answers to your questions?
Tired of being flamed for posting in the wrong newsgroup?  If so, this
document _might_ be of some help.

If you are repeatedly getting flamed (yelled at) for posting "How do I...?"
and "How come it doesn't like my...?" questions in alt.binaries.doom, it is
because you _are_ posting your questions and pleas for help in the wrong
place.

This newsgroup is named alt.binaries.doom.  The "binaries" means that
uuencoded binary files related to DOOM/DOOM ][, and Heretic, should be
posted here. Binary files include .WAD files, editor programs, shareware
versions of DOOM/Heretic, etc...

It should be noted that _any_ newsgroup with the word "binaries" in its
name is for the posting of binary files, and not for discussions, debates,
and pleas for help.  So, where do you post questions and discussions
related to DOOM or Heretic?

There are several newsgroups in existence for the sole purpose of providing
help with DOOM, Heretic, and many other games.  Here is a short list of
some of them:

rec.games.computer.doom.announce:  This is a moderated newsgroup used for
                                   the posting of announcements, usually
                                   new DOOM WADS or editors, and upcoming
                                   tournaments. (This is the only moderated
                                   newsgroup in the rec.games.computer.
                                   doom.* hierarchy).

rec.games.computer.doom.editing:   Questions and comments about editing
                                   your own maps, and what editor programs
                                   to use, hacking the EXE files, and other
                                   topics along those lines.

rec.games.computer.doom.help:      Getting help with DOOM.  If it won't
                                   work, or you are having problems with
                                   your mouse, soundcard, video, etc...,
                                   this is the place to go.  People new to
                                   DOOM/DOOM ][ should look here for help.
                                   This is the home newsgroup for Ian
                                   Mapleson's "Doom Help Service"

rec.games.computer.doom.misc:      Discussions about other ID products
                                   (Wolf 3D, Commander Keen), which
                                   controllers are best, platform/OS
                                   flamewars, ports of DOOM to other
                                   machines/Operating Systems, which guy at
                                   ID has the most expensive car, "you know
                                   you've been playing DOOM too long
                                   when...", "Whatever happened to Maurice
                                   Hale?", adds for commercial services and
                                   products aimed at DOOM players, and
                                   anything DOOM related that does not fit
                                   in the other r.g.c.d.* newsgroups.

rec.games.computer.doom.playing:   Discussing tactics and strategies,
                                   asking for help in the _playing_ aspects
                                   of DOOM - "How do I get the Red Key on
                                   Level Two of DOOM ][?", and asking about
                                   third-party maps (like: "How do I get
                                   out of the Prison Block of Richard
                                   Ward's "RRWARD01.WAD (shameless plug,
                                   patent pending)).

comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action:      This is the Usenet's generic Action
                                   Games for the IBM PC and Compatibles
                                   newsgroup.  This is the place to talk
                                   about, and ask questions about games
                                   that are not DOOM or by ID - such games
                                   as ROtT, Descent, Mortal Combat, Dark
                                   Forces, Frogger, etc...

Note:  There are many newsgroups in the comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.* hierarchy,
including those devoted to adventure games, strategic games, flight
simulators, etc...  These are some of the most active game newsgroups and
are a wealth of information and help.  If you play any games on your IBM PC
that are not DOOM/Heretic, you will find help here.

alt.games.doom, alt.games.doom.ii: The original DOOM newsgroups. The new
                                   newsgroups were voted on by the (then)
                                   active users of AGD in October 1994 and
                                   approved by a vote of 375-90.

By posting to the appropriate newsgroup, you will increase your chances of
getting the answer you are looking for, while minimizing the risk of
getting flamed.  You will also lower the "noise" level in
alt.binaries.doom, which will make everyone happier.

The Rec.Games.Computer.Doom Support Team

--
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Richard Ward                                           [email-masked] |
| Volunteer Coordinator - rec.games.computer.doom.misc                  |
| Co-author of the "Official DOOM ][ Keys FAQ"                          |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+