Subject: DOOM Editing Guide. . . . . . . . (97/01/30)
From: [email-masked] (JAB van Ree)
Newsgroups: rec.games.computer.doom.announce,rec.games.computer.doom.help,rec.games.computer.doom.editing

_______ _____ _____ __   ___  _____________ _____ _____ _____ _   _ ______
| ___  \  _  |  _  |  \ /  |  |  ____|  _  \_   _|_   _|_   _| \ | |  ___ \
| |  \ | | | | | | | . V . |  | |__  | | | | | |   | |   | | |  \| | |   \/
| |  / | \_/ | \_/ | |\ /| |  |  __| | | | | | |   | |   | | | . ` | | ___
| | / / \   / \   /| | V | |  | |    | |/ / _| |_  | |  _| |_| |\  | | \  \
| `' /   \_/   \_/ \_|   | |  | |____|___/  \___/  |_|  \___/\_| \_| \__| |
|___/    and DOOM II     \_|  \_____/           G U I D E           \_____/

                 By Jan-Albert B. van Ree ([email-masked])
                                Version 1.666

===========================================================================
Disclaimer
===========================================================================

        This info is to aid in informing the public about editing the
games DOOM and DOOM ][, by id Software.  In no way should this promote you
killing yourself, killing others, or killing in any other fashion.
Additionally, the author does not claim ANY responsibility regarding ANY
illegal activity concerning this file, or indirectly related to this file.
The information contained in this file only reflects id Software
indirectly, and questioning id Software regarding any information in this
file is not recommended.

        The author shall not be responsible for any damage done by using
information contained in this file. I am not in ANY way connected to id
software. So don't ask them for help.  Instead mail me at
[email-masked] for questions about this file.

        I do not gain any profit writing this guide. All of these programs
were tried as well as I could, and tested version was always shareware. The
PC used for testing was a P150 with 32 Mb running DOS/Wfw 3.11/Win95.

===========================================================================
Copyright notice
===========================================================================

This article is Copyright 1997 by Jan-Albert van Ree.  All rights reserved.

        You are allowed to make copies of this file as long as it's a copy
of the original text, with my name, this statement and the rest of the
header included.  You may distribute this through a BBS or the Internet, as
long as no profit is made.

        You may not distribute this work by any non-electronic media,
including but not limited to books, newsletters, magazines, manuals,
catalogs, and speech.  You may not distribute this work in electronic
magazines or within computer software without prior written explicit
permission.  These rights are temporary and revocable upon written, oral,
or other notice by the author. If you would like additional rights beyond
those granted above, write to the author at [email-masked] on
Internet.

===========================================================================
Contents
===========================================================================

Chapter 0 : Introduction to this version

Chapter 1 : What is DOOM and why do I want an editor

        1-1 DOOM by id Software
        1-2 Editing for DOOM

Chapter 2 : What can I edit

        2-1 Levels
        2-2 Graphics
        2-3 Music and Sound
        2-4 DOOM.EXE editing

Chapter 3 : Most used editors with background info

        3-1 Level Editors
            DEU
            ADE2
            IDE
            RHEU
            Deth
            DeeP
            DCK
            EdMap
            WadEd
            DmapEd40
            Ed209
            MDE (my DOOM editor)
            DoomEd
            DoomCad
            Renegade Graphics DoomED
            WadAuthor
            WAD's up
            WAD studio
            Deep for Win95
        3-2 Graphics editors
            DeuTex and DeuSF
            WinTex
            DMGRAPH
        3-3 Music and Sound tools
            MIDI2MUS and MUS2MIDI
            DMAUD and DMAUDWIN
            DMMUS
            MUSPlayer
        3-4 Nodebuilders and more
            IDBSP
            IDBSPWAT
            BSP
            Warm
            Zennode
            BSPCOMP
            RMB
            Reject
        3-5 EXE editors
            DeHackEd
            D2
            HeHackEd
        3-6 Hexen script generators
            ACC
            Hexen Behaviour decompiler
            deACC
            deScript
        3-7 Other nice utilities
            DM2Convert
            CleanWAD

Chapter 4 : Authors experience

        4-0 Before we start editing : required for editing
        4-1 Level editing
        4-2 Graphics editing
        4-3 Music and sound editing
        4-4 EXE editing
        4-5 Hexen scripting
        4-6 Conclusion

Chapter 5 : Where to get the stuff

        5-1 FTP-sites
        5-2 WWW-sites

Chapter 6 : People who have helped me with this "guide"

Appendix A : WAD author template

===========================================================================
Chapter 0 : Introduction to this version
===========================================================================

        This version of the Editing guide (1.666) will probably be the last
version I will write. Right now (1-1997) Quake is out almost half a year
and the attention for DOOM related things is gone a bit. I myself am
moving on to the Quake scene as well.

        For this final version I downloaded the WHOLE utils section from
ftp.cdrom.com but only did a review on tools I found to be useful. Some
of the programs only work on one version or are so old and have lost their
usability. The tools described in this FAQ should suffice for almost all
editing jobs. At WTF Productions they suffice...

        I have also assembled a list of all resources in DOOM together with
a list of patches needed for a texture (complete with offset). I am
planning to do the same for DOOM ][ very soon. These lists will be
available from http://www.gamers.org/~javanree/. The list is compiled using
many sources from all over the net, too much to list. But hereby I'd like
to thank all of you. Same goes for info in this Guide.

===========================================================================
Chapter 1 : What is DOOM and why do I want an editor
===========================================================================

[1-1] DOOM by id software

        DOOM is a three dimensional, virtual reality type action game
created by id Software. In some ways, it is similar to Wolfenstein 3-D
(id Software, Apogee). If you have ever played DOOM, you'll know it's a
major step forward compared to Wolfenstein 3-D. Even the level editing
has improved. This guide will try to give more information about most
popular editors.

[1-2] Editing for DOOM

        After having finished all the levels, most people start looking for
more to play. Since the map-format of DOOM (this is the WAD-file) is pretty
easy to understand, and id has created options for adding extra levels, a
lot of people started making editors to create new levels, add new music
and sounds, textures and even new weapons and stuff like that.

        id has requested people not to make any maps that will work with
the shareware version of DOOM, to keep the sales going. Please respect
this! You can easily do this by using monsters / textures which are only
in the registered version of DOOM. So if you want to start editing and
want to feel good about yourself, register DOOM. It pays,  id Software :)
This does not go for DOOM II, which doesn't have a shareware version.
More about this in the level design FAQ by Tom Neff ([email-masked]).

        You may have heard of the Ultimate DOOM, featuring a new episode.
The main WAD file has changed somewhat, a patch to upgrade your version of
DOOM to The Ultimate DOOM with the 4th episode is at id's web- and
FTP-site. More on this in chapter 4.0.

        The same goes for Heretic. Look for Heretic Shadow of the Serpent
Riders. A patch to upgrade Heretic 1.2 to Heretic SOSR is also available.

        New is Final DOOM, this is basically DOOM2 with a different WAD file.
Editors that can handle DOOM2 can handle Final DOOM.

        Everything in the DOOM.WAD file is copyrighted. So do NOT extract
textures or anything from it to use in your own work, original or modified.
Same goes for the DOOM.EXE file. You can only point at their resources,
like in a PWAD, with entries pointing to the main IWAD (DOOM.WAD) Also
copyrighted is the layout of the maps. So don't copy id Software's map
layouts, but be original and do your own layout! This also goes for DOOM ][,
Heretic and Hexen.

===========================================================================
Chapter 2 : What can I edit
===========================================================================

        There are two ways of editing. You can change the DOOM.EXE file,
with a utility like DeHackEd, or make / modify a WAD-file. By changing
the EXE file, you can change stuff like weapon damage or firing speed.
Editing WAD-files gives you the possibility of changing music, textures,
sound and maps.

        Due to the small differences between DOOM and Heretic/Hexen I
cannot guarantee all will work with Heretic/Hexen. I will not discuss the
scripting stuff built into Hexen. For information on this, read the Hexen
specs by Ben Morris, available at ftp.cdrom.com

[2-1] Levels

        One of the most fun things to edit is a map. There are a lot of
editors around to edit a map. You have a few options :

- Editing one of the original maps (from the DOOM.WAD file)
- Editing a map from someone else
- Create your own map from scratch

        The first two can give a problem. The original maps are
copyrighted. Also a lot of people don't give you the right to alter their
maps. More info is usually in the TXT-file which comes with the WAD-file.

        Also when you create a map, use the template discussed in appendix
A to give other people information about their rights regarding your
files. This won't get other people frustrated because a WAD doesn't work
just because they use the wrong kind of DOOM.

        There are a lot of map-editors on the Internet. Some of them
require a separate nodebuilder. Most editors are shareware so you can try
before you buy. Where to get the files is described in chapter 5.

[2-2] Graphics

        DOOM allows changing graphics, like a wall or a monster. Again the
legal part: You are not allowed to change the original graphics and put
them in a separate patch WAD (PWAD) file.

        For texture changing you'll need a good photo-editing program. DOOM
uses its own color palette, so your drawing program should support non-
default palettes. All graphic inputfiles should be in BMP or GIF format.
Same goes for Heretic/Hexen.

[2-3] Music and sound

        Thanks to id, who released the MIDI2MUS utility, we are able to
make our own music. A MIDI file can be converted to a MUS file, which is
the DOOM format for music. This is pretty easy stuff, and can change to
mood of a level completely.

        If you have a SoundBlaster (TM) or 100% compatible soundcard you
can also record your own WAV-files and insert them in a PWAD file. So next
time a sargeant sees you, you could make him yell "He you there!" instead
of the growling noise. As far as I know, it's hard to change the Adlib and
PC-speaker soundeffects. But I don't think they can be improved due to the
quality of these devices. If you're into DOOM and want some excellent
sound and music, go get an Gravis UltraSound Max or a SoundBlaster AWE 32.

[2-4] DOOM.EXE editing

        The last thing I will discuss is the EXE file editing. There are
just a few utilities for this, since this is one of the hardest parts of
DOOM editing.

        Changing the EXE file has one big disadvantage, the DOOM.EXE file
will be modified so it can't be patched to a higher version. So back up
the EXE file before editing it! WAD-files are easier to edit and to
distribute and don't make any changes in the original game files.

        It can be used to cheat, by making faster weapons or getting more
health, but it also be applied to change the behaviour of monsters and
create all sorts of cool effects.

        Just like the DOOM.WAD file, the executable is copyrighted and
you should not distribute a modified version. id has however unofficially
accepted that DHE/D2 patches to produce modified executables can be
distributed.

---Conclusion---

        Probably the best thing for you, after you have read the DOOM FAQ
by Hank Leukart and The Unofficial DOOM specs by Matt Fell is to start
with the level editing. Then work your way up editing sounds, music, and
then the graphics. If you are still not satisfied, try the EXE editing.
Also keep the DOOM level design FAQ by Tom Neff at hand, this can be one
of your biggest "DOOM editing books". Additionally, see the WAD Designers
Handbook by Bill McClendon. But please remember before you start to MAKE
A BACKUP OF ALL THE GAME FILES!

For more information look in the RGCD FAQ by Frans P. de Vries, which is
posted weekly in the rec.games.computer.doom.* newsgroups.

===========================================================================
Chapter 3 : Most used editors with background information
===========================================================================

[3-1] Level editors

        The first thing you will have to decide is to get an editor that
will run on your system. If you are running under Linux or OS/2 you won't
have as much choice as when you were running under DOS. For DOS I'd say use
at least DOS 5.0. For Linux and OS/2 I wouldn't know. I haven't been able to
try those editors out.

        Editing under Windows is something special. It is very hard to run
DOOM under Windows, so if you get yourself a Windows editor, you will have
to realise that you'll keep switching between DOS and Windows, which will
take much time and can be frustrating.

        I will try to give you the latest version number, but I can't get
everything right the first time. If you want your editor here or you see a
version which is outdated, please contact me.

        I have to say one thing... Let's all thank the DEU team. Without
them a lot of these editors wouldn't exist since they are based upon DEU
source code.

        Most programs for DOS are written in Pascal and use the BGI
drivers. This might cause trouble for some people. So be aware of that.
One Windows editor was complaining about my drivers. This is also
something to look out for. Best for Windows is to use a standard 256-color
driver from MS.

---DEU---

Written by Raphael Quinet ([email-masked])
and Brendon J Wyber ([email-masked])
The current version is 5.3 beta 9. Also available is a 32-bits version,
5.21 GC.

        This was one of the first editors around. It runs under just about
all platforms since you have to compile it yourself using a C compiler
and features all the necessary options for creating a good WAD file. It
allows you to insert DEMO files, edit maps, check maps for errors and
much, much more.

        My biggest problem with DEU was the user-unfriendly interface. You
have to keep the manual with you the first weeks you work with DEU to look
up the right way to get things done. It works with DOOM (for Heretic look
for HEU, a non-official port by Joost Schuur; for DOOM ][, take up ADE2)

+ Very powerful
+ Lot of graphic modes supported (VGA, SVGA in 640x480 and 800x600)

- Not a very userfriendly program
- Doesn't support stuff like autobuilding of stairs

A lot of people have written tutorials for DEU. Get one of them and save
yourself a lot of trouble.

For people who don't like the interface of DEU there is a Windows version
called WinDEU. It's available in 2 types. A 16-bit version, WinDEU16,
current version 5.9b, and a 32-bit version, WinDEU32.

        I myself tried the 32-bit version, which is a bit faster. To run
this version under Windows 3.1, get the Win32S package from Microsoft. It
gives you the chance to use some 32-bit programs under Windows 3.1. WinDEU
is much more user-friendly and works quite fast.

+ Userfriendly
+ Quite fast (OK OK, for a Windows program...)

- Autobuilding of objects again...

---ADE2---

Written by Raphael Quinet ([email-masked])
and Brendon J Wyber ([email-masked])
Current version 5.2

        This is basically DEU for DOOM ][. So everything else on comments is
just the same as with DEU. It allows you to insert DEMO files, edit maps,
check maps for errors and much, much more.

        My biggest problem with DEU was the user-unfriendly interface. You
have to keep the manual with you the first weeks you work with ADE2 to look
up the right way to get things done. It works with DOOM ][.

+ Very powerful
+ Lot of graphic modes supported (VGA, SVGA in 640x480 and 800x600)

- Not a very userfriendly program
- Doesn't support stuff like autobuilding of stairs

---IDE---

Written by Joe Wilcox ([email-masked])
Current version 1.0

        Another DEU clone with ONE big advantage : It works for DOOM,
DOOM ][ and Heretic. For the rest interface is SLIGHTLY changed. Overal
rock-solid. It was based upon DEU 5.2 and 5.1. And best of all it's also
freeware!

+ Works for DOOM, DOOM ][ and Heretic
+ Fast
+ Solid

- Bad interface
- No autobuilding stuff

---RHEU---

Written by ([email-masked])
Current version is 1.2

        This is a Heretic editor, that also lets you convert DOOM maps to
Heretic. Also has the DEU interface. Haven't played aroud with it much...

+ Very good Heretic editor

- See DEU remarks, said it enough now...

---Deth---

Written by Antony Burden ([email-masked]) and Simon Oke
Current version is 3.92

        Also a DOS editor, pretty much the same possibilities as DEU
and other DOS-based editors since it was based on the DEU source code.
Again pretty easy to use. For Hexen editing Heth is included, this is a
special Deth version for Hexen. Since it needs a node builder it comes
with Zen node.

+ Good user interface
+ Fast (pretty much because it is a DOS program, like other DOS programs)
+ With use of the CFG files you can configure a lot

- I personally don't like the user interface

---DeeP---

Written by Sensor Based Systems ([email-masked])
Reviewed version 8.75
Current version is 8.76

        DeeP is a DOS based editor with (wat a change) a nice user inter-
face and a lot of tutorial stuff included. But again no install file. This
is very powerful stuff. Also a 32-bits version out. It can put a lot of
separate PWAD files into one big one. The editor allows you to see the
textures you can use for e.g. a wall. It also contains some info about DOOM
itself. The interface looks somewhat like Windows. Support for DOOM,
DOOM ][, Heretic, Hexen and Strife. Hexen support is superb : built in
Hexen script support (only in registered version)

+ Easy to use
+ Works under DOS and still has a good interface
+ Very fast

- Can't think of anything right now

---DCK (DOOM constuction kit)---

Written by Ben Morris ([email-masked])
Current version is 3.6.1

        Another DOS based editor, but with a better user interface. One of
the most powerful editors I have come across yet. It has built-in functions
for building doors, stairs and elevators. Really good. If you hate Windows,
this is probably the best editor for you. It works on all id games for now.

+ Real easy to use
+ Lots of work is done for you when building stairs and elevators

- Won't work with Logitech mousedriver
- Won't work with S3 TrioV64+ card when selecting S3 based (choose VESA)

---EdMap---

Written by Jeff Rabenhorst ([email-masked])
Reviewed version 1.31
Current version is 1.40, but this is still pretty unstable.

        Again a DOS based editor, but the interface could use some extra
work. The tutorial files are pretty good. All important functions for
building maps are included. All pretty standard I guess. Contains some
fun stuff, like autobuilding of stairs, elevators and teleporters. No mode
switching here, which makes it a bit difficult to use when you work in a
crowded area. Can edit DOOM, DOOM ][ and Heretic.

+ Lots of extra's for levelediting
+ Nice config. program

- No mode switching, sometimes difficult

---WadEd---

Written by Matthew Ayres
Current version is 1.83b

        Also a DOS based editor. I must say I really like the way mouse and
keyboard are combined in this editor. Also zooming goes really swell.
To overcome the problem of making multilevel PWAD's the author has written
a separate utility called WADCAT to merge multiple PWAD's to one PWAD.
This makes it a bit more difficult to use, but is better than nothing. It
works for DOOM, DOOM ][ and Heretic.

+ Works very nice and easy

- Uses separate utility to make multilevel PWAD's

---Dmaped40---

Written by Jason Hoffoss ([email-masked])
Current version 4.0

        First try went bad, since it doesn't like Win95 at all... After a
second try under DOS 6 it worked OK. It seems like a pretty solid editor.
It contains some very useful things like error checker and a fixer (have
not tested this all very rigourously)

+ Nice interface
+ Lots of handy functions

- Again those stupid startup parameters and not a CFG-file or something...

---Ed209---

Written by Nick McLeod and Dave Evans
Current version 1.1

        Another DOS editor, which can handle DOOM and DOOM ][. Some things
look a bit like Windows :) Really easy to use, but looks pretty time
consuming to me given the way you create things. Also supports some
autobuilding functions. No tutorial, just a damn good help file.

        This editor has some useful stuff rarely found, like scaling and
rotating of objects. This might be handy for the pro's.

+ Fast
+ Easy

- Not easy to use it for both Doom and Doom2

---My DOOM Editor (MDE)---

Written by Patrick Steele
Current version 0.9b

        Really HATED this one. Never even got it running. It uses some kind
of special graphics driver to speed up drawing. So each time I fired up
this program I got a blank screen and had to do a HARD reboot (Win95
doesn't like that very much :) )

        According to the text you can only modify a WAD with this program,
and it only works with DOOM. My opinion : get something else!

+ Dunno, never tried it. Crashed on Win95, DOS 6.2 clean-booted and DOS 6.2

- Crashed my system, in every config.

---DoomEd---

Written by Geoff Allen ([email-masked])
The current version is 4.2 which is for Windows 3.1

        DoomEd is one of the first Windows based editors. It features
almost everything you expect from an editor. It is very easy to use and
has a lot of handy tools for standard procedures like building stairs.
DoomEd can handle multilevel WAD-files, demo's, music and much more. If
only a good online help was included. Best is you get to choose the way
of nodebuilding! Works with DOOM and DOOM ][.

        Due to some legal problems registering the shareware version is no
longer possible. Geoff has however published the sourcecode to DoomEd on
his homepage at http://www.agt.net/public/allang/. it was written in
MSVC 1.5. Perhaps somebody could take out the bugs...

+ Very easy to use
+ Almost everything can be inserted / removed
+ Can make PWAD files and DWD files (for IDBSP nodebuilder)

- Can crash at the most weird times
- Editing things on big levels is a bit shaky sometimes
- Sometimes doesn't save correctly

---DOOMCad---

Written by Matt Tagliaferri ([email-masked])
Current is 6.1 which is for both versions, and runs under Windows 3.1

        I have had a hard time getting this editor up and running, but it
was worth the effort. This is a very nice Windows editor, and although not
with as many possibilities as DoomEd, DCK or DEU, still more than enough
for beginners to "get the hang of it".

        Unfortunately it doesn't allow you to make multilevel PWAD files,
but there are several utilities that can combine a bunch of lose PWAD file
into one big PWAD file. Also scrolling of the map isn't very easy since
there are no scrolling bars (why?)

+ Very easy to use
+ Clear and useful online help file

- Hard to set up (no nice setup file included!)
- Not enough stuff in it for advanced editing

---Renegade Graphics DoomED---

Written by Renegade Graphics ([email-masked])
Current version is 2.23 for running under Windows 3.1

        This is a nice editor, with a good install program and a nice
looking editor screen. It runs under Windows. And again, no online
helpfile. But there is a nice textfile included with more info on building
your own map.

        I have has some trouble working with this one. For instance, you
can't move around in your map very easy with a scrollbar or something like
it. Also making multilevel PWAD files is very difficult or even impossible.

+ Easy to use
+ Lots of things can be adjusted to your own taste

- Editing multilevels is (nearly) impossible
- Only good for maps

---WadAuthor---

Written by Williston Consulting
Current version 1.2 for Win95/Windows NT or Win32S 1.3 or higher

        This is definitely one of the most stable and easy to use Windows
editors around. It features multimap making and lots more. After
registering the authors even give you a bonus, some DOS utilities to list
and change WAD files.

        The editor has some very nice things, like showing a picture of
the thing instead of some coloured dot. The help files are very clear
even to newbies :) Zooming or scrolling is very difficult.

+ Easy to use
+ Can edit almost all maps (Hexen and Ultimate DOOM also!)
+ VERY good help file

- Zooming isn't very comfortable

---Wad's up---

Written by G. Whitehead ([email-masked]) and Charlotte Hamlyn
Current version 1.1

        Another Windows editor, runs onder 3.1 with some additional files,
included in a separate ZIP-file. All looks pretty good, but this editor
isn't very easy or handy to use if you ask me... The interface is a bit
crappy and not very logical. Only for DOOM.

+ Some handy tricks

- Not very logical in use
- No help files

---WAD Studio---

Written by Richard Felker (71614,[email-masked])
Current version 1.5b

        I expected a lot from this editor, but firing it up was a really
though job. I had to fool around for ages with the INI-files and stuff
before all worked a bit. Better read the TXT-files better next time I try
out something :)

        This editor has a good interface and is very easy to work with. It
works with DOOM, DOOM ][, Heretic and Hexen (even offers some options for
using scripts).

+ Easy to use
+ Good Hexen support

- Rather small editing screen left due to console and stuff
- Zen node included, but needs to be run separately

---DeeP for Win95---

Written by Sensor Based Systems ([email-masked])
Reviewed version 9.79a
Current version is 9.79c

        This is the first REAL Win95 DOOM editor I've seen so far. It works
like a charm and is quite fast. Couldn't find any bugs anywhere. Better
stuff than this will be hard to find. Also for DOOM, DOOM ][, Heretic,
Hexen and Strife.

+ Easy to use
+ Good installation program

[3-2] Graphics, Sound and Music Editors

        When people make their own WAD files, they usually want to change
the graphics as well, to make something that is really their own product.
This can be done with a graphics editor. Wall textures are made out of
patches. We have wall textures existing of one patch, like the ashwall
texture, and textures that are created by combining more patches like all
the switch textures. A flat (floor or ceiling graphic) is always one entry.

        So it is possible to get a picture, convert it to a GIF or BMP
file that is 128x128 pixels (or any power of two) and put it in DOOM as a
graphic, to make a patch out of it. The patch can be used to create a
texture. DOOM uses a different color palette, so your photo-like pictures
may turn out to be terrible once you get to see them in DOOM. Best is to
get a program like Paint Shop Pro and extract the palette from a picture
and use this for creating new graphics. To make something in a graphic
transparant use a unique color and pass on the RGB value for this color
to your importing tool. The tool will change the graphic so DOOM can use
it the way you want it.

        Due to some fault (??) in the DOOM engine the flats (floor and
ceiling textures) can't be changed like this. There are two ways to
(legally) do this. One is to make a WAD file with only the necessary new
flats and let the user use DeuSF to include all other flats in the WAD so
it works. Method number two is to change ALL the flats and put them in your
PWAD. Floors and ceilings CAN'T be animated.

        The most tricky part is replacing sprites. All monsters and some
objects have 8 views. To replace the graphics correctly you need to
replace all of the views or things will look weird. Some things are
animated, like barrels. You CAN'T make the animation cycle bigger without
changing the DOOM.EXE file.

---DeuTex and DeuSF---

Written by Olivier Montanuy (?.?@compuserve.com)
Current  DeuTex version 3.6
         DeuSF  version 3.8

        DeuTex is a DOS utility which is run from the command prompt.
There is a Windows shell, but this doesn't improve things very much. This
utility is very powerful and can import to and extract graphics from a WAD
file. Picture format is BMP or GIF. It can also build/rebuild PWAD files.
It basically can extract or import ALL entries in a WAD file.

        DeuSF is for making PWAD files with changed sprites or flats. This
is normally not possible. Supports GIF, BMP, WAV, AU and MUS.

+ Can do almost everything
+ Good manuals available

- Not very easy to learn

---WinTex--

Also written by Olivier Montanuy
Current version is 4.3

        To make up for the inconvenience using DeuTex, DeuSF and other DOS-
based utilities, this neat Windows program controls all these DOS programs
by running them using a PIF file. The program is just a shell that sets up
the programs parameters. It is very easy to use and all of your knowledge
from the DOS utilities can still be used.

+ Combines the good things from the DOS utilities and the Windows interface

- I don't really know

---NWT (New WAD Tools)---

Written by Denis Moeller
Current version 1.3. NWTpro 1.4 beta 1 is out

        Just like WinTex, this is something you just have to get and try.
It does almost everything Wintex can, and runs under DOS. This is really
great stuff you guys. Go get it!

        NWTpro is pretty cool and also works on Strife and Hexen. Worth to
take a look at.

+ Importing/Exporting almost everything in WAD files.
+ Very clear menu structure
+ Also for Heretic, with a different palette!
+ Plays soundeffects on a SoundBlaster

- Why not a cfg-file, but a -file parameter????

---DMGRAPH---

Written by Bill Neisius ([email-masked])
Current version 1.1D

        The first tool to mess around with graphics. Can still be useful,
although time caught up with it. NOT for beginners who don't know much
about PWAD structure and stuff...

+ Supports different graphical formats

- Very difficult to use, due to various options
- Sometimes a bit shakey... better use cleanwad

[3-3] Music and Sound utilities

        By changing music and sound in DOOM, you can create a totally
different atmosphere. This is very easy, specially if you have some MIDI
device like a keyboard. Make your own MIDI file and convert it to DOOM
music. You can also extract MUS files from DOOM and convert them to MIDI.
You CAN'T use a WAV file as music in DOOM or related games. Same goes for
VOC and AU files. MOD files might work if they can be converted to MIDI.

        To record sound for DOOM you need a SoundBlaster or 100% hardware
compatible soundcard. Recording is done in MONO on 11kHz. DOOM makes its
own stereo-effect if needed. Maximum length is about 6 seconds.

---MIDI2MUS---

Written by id Software

        As far as I know this is the only way to make music for DOOM. Use
a MIDI file as input, and out comes your MUS file. Easy to use. There is
no alternative, but if this is still to difficult, it can be controlled by
Wintex.

+ Easy to use

- Don't know anything

---MUS2MIDI---

Written by Jochem Erdfelt ([email-masked])
Version 0.9

        Now let's go the other way! This is a bit trickier. Best is to use
Wintex, since you will not be bugged with questions about the tempo of the
song. This information is required if you run it from the command prompt.

+ Only one (again) but pretty good.

- Not to easy to use (unless run from Wintex)

---DMAUD---

Written by Bill Neisius ([email-masked])
Current version 1.1

        The first tool that helped me mess around with DOOM sounds. It's
very basic and kinda dangerous to use if you have no idea about WAD
structures but is still OK I gues... DOOM only

+ Converts all WAV files to right format

- Works with soundnumbers instead of entry names.
- Sometimes a bit shakey... better use cleanwad

---DMMUS---

Written by Bill Neisius ([email-masked])
Current version 1.0

        Can you believe what this guy did for us??? Another cool tool, this
time to change/import/export music in a WAD file. This time it works with
entry names rather than with numbers. DOOM only.

+ Fast

- Sometimes a bit shakey... better use cleanwad

---MUSplayer---

Written by Vladimir Arnost ([email-masked])
Current version 1.75

        A MUS file player, pretty advanced. It supports most soundcards,
AWE32, OLP2, OLP3, SoundBlaster MIDI port and MPU-401. Really great for
finding out which MUS file should go with a particular level.

+ Works great

- Why not kinda like a CD-player look?

[3-4] Nodebuilders and more

        If your editor can't build its own BSP tree you'll need a builder
like BSP or IDBSP. Input is a DWD or WAD file. If your editor gives you a
WAD file, and your nodes builder needs to have a DWD don't worry, this can
be converted to a DWD file. Some builders also build a good reject map, to
speed up the game by reducing the line-in-sight calculations.

---IDBSP---

Written by id for NextStep and ported to DOS by
Ron Rossbach ([email-masked])
Current version is 1.10

        The original. Builds the smallest levels, and also the fastest. But
still has some bugs, even admitted by id. Source code is available, so if
you have the guts, give it a shot. It is written in C. Also available for
Linux (version 1.0.2???)

+ Fast and easy to use

- DWD file needed, so most of the time you have to convert your WAD
- Coprocessor highly recommended, emulating is real shitty!

---IDBSPWAT---

Written by id for NextStep and ported to DOS by
Steve Larsen ([email-masked])
Current version is 1.0

        This guy recompiled Ron Rossbach's port with Watcom C and claims it
is at least 20% faster. Might be interesting to take a look at.

+ Fast and easy to use (faster than IDBSP)

- DWD file needed, so most of the time you have to convert your WAD
- Coprocessor highly recommended! (they are so cheap...)

---BSP---

Written by Colin Reed ([email-masked])
Current version is 1.5

        This builder is available for most systems, DOS, Unix and OS/2 so
everyone can use it. Most used since it was the first for DOS. Used in
most editors that can build their own BSP tree. Now also a Windows version
is available, bsp11w.

+ Fast, easy and most used

- WAD files are a tad bigger than with IDBSP

---Warm---

Written by Robert Fenske, Jr ([email-masked])
Ported to OS/2 by Mark K. Mathews ([email-masked])
Current version is 1.6

        Again a very good nodebuilder, the authors even claim this is one
of the fastest nodebuilders around. This one indeed is fast, but the maps
it builds aren't the smallest (IDBSP builds the smallest maps) but are very
playable. Due to the reject builder the maps play very well. Also does
other things like merging 2 PWADs into 1. Supports DOOM, DOOM ][, Heretic
and Hexen.

        Unfortunately some bugs have been reported. It seems that sectors
with very odd shapes are being miscalculated resulting in stuff like a
Hall of Mirrors. Should this happen to you notify the author of Warm of
the bug.

+ Very fast builder
+ Good reject builder
+ Source included

- WAD file size pretty big compared to IDBSP (the original)
- Difficult in use when you have special effects like invisible doors
- Some bugs with special shaped sectors have been reported

---Zennode--

Written by Marc Rousseau ([email-masked])
Current version is 0.98a

        Again a very fast nodebuilder. Included in the ZIP file is a
program to check how the BSP is build. Pretty good looks. Supports DOOM,
DOOM ][, Heretic and Hexen. Also builds a reject table. Works under OS/2,
DOS and Windows 95/NT.

+ Very fast
+ Easy to use

- Nothing to see here...move on please

---BSPCOMP---

Written by Joshua Jackson
Current version 1.0

        Another BSP builder, written in Borland Pascal 7.0. Will NOT work
with Hexen, but will do with DOOM, DOOM ][ and Heretic. Isn't the fastest
nor the best, but a good allrounder. Perhaps if it was ported to C it might
get faster.

+ Pretty solid, doesn't screw up maps

- Not fastest builder.

---RMB---

Written by Jens Hykkelbjerg ([email-masked]) and
Steve Benner ([email-masked])

Current version is 3.0

        This is a very good reject builder. Works better than Reject and
it's behaviour can be adjusted to your taste and time. It also gives the
efficiency of the reject map.

+ Better than reject and other utilities
+ Easy to use

- On large map it takes a LONG, LONG time

---Reject---

Written by L.M. Witek ([email-masked])
Current version is 1.10

        This util only builds a reject map, so only useful if your editor
does make a BSP tree but no reject map. Works pretty good. But you better
get an editor that does all the work in one time or use IDBSP.

+ Reliable
+ Easy to use

- This is a lot of extra work (most of the time this is not needed because
  the editor can do it, and most levels are not that big)

[3-5] DOOM EXE hackers

---DeHackEd---

Written by Greg Lewis ([email-masked])
Current version 3.0a

        This was perhaps the first .EXE hacker and definitely the best for
hacking DOOM. It has a nice interface (what a relief!) and doesn't bother
you with working at low-level like with HEX. It even has a nice .ini file
for configuration! This one is for DOOM and DOOM ][.  This is a REAL
standard in the DOOM community...

+ Nice interface
+ INI file for configuration

- Nothing to see here... move on!

---D2---

Written by Stephan Crowley

        Another DOOM2 EXE editor, but not as nice as DeHackEd. Interface
is OK, and the setup works fine. You will have to place the files in your
DOOM directory (god I hate that... it's full enough already!) It works
fine, but it isn't and will never be as good as DeHackEd.

+ Good interface
+ Nice install

- Needs to be in the DOOM2 directory

---HeHackEd---

Written by Greg Lewis ([email-masked])
Current version 1.1

        This is basically DeHackEd reworked to be used with Heretic... so
just go and see for yourself...

+ Nice interface
+ INI file for configuration

- Nothing to see here... move on!

[3-6] Hexen scripting

        One of the best new features of Hexen was the scripting technology.
With it editors are able to describe the way things work in the created
level. A good example of it are the way doors work in Hexen : They work
like normal doors and turn open, not slide open. Also the breaking glass
in the first level is a good example of a script.

        I haven't yet tried working with scripts. People who know how to
write programs with C or Pascal will definitely have an advantage in
working with scripts, but non-programmers can also learn it, although it
will take a bit more effort.

---ACC---

Written by the Ben Gokey from Raven
Current version is 1.09

        This is the official tool for making your own scripts. It comes
with all needed sources and stuff. It is quite fast and seems to be working
flawless. No problems here! Recommended is to use it with a decompiler like
deScript, a winning combination!

+ Works reliable (and even if it didn't, it's the only tool...)

- Sometimes pretty slow

---Hexen Behaviour decompiler---

Written by [email-masked]
Current version is 5.0

        A decompiler for Hexen scripts, works under DOS, OS/2 and Win32
platforms, so almost everybody can use it! The output isn't very readable,
I would prefer using deScript, which gives some comments.

- Messy output
- Bad manual (better : no manual!)

---deACC---

Written by Luc Cluitmans ([email-masked])
Current version is 1.1 / 1.1x

        Also a decompiler, again one for DOS and for OS/2. Again output
isn't very readable, I think this will always be a problem with decompiling
so we better save source and stuff.... It is very similair to the Hexen
behaviour decompiler, so it's up to you to pick your own...

- Messy output

---deScript---

Written by R.A. Coward ([email-masked])
Current version 1.40

        This is a utility to DEcompile a script. So extract a script from
a WAD and check out how it works. Sourcecode generated by this program is
very clear to understand. It only works with code generated by ACC, the
code generator created by Ben Gokey, a programmer from Raven Software,
maker of Hexen. Also if the original code was messy, results of de-script
will be messy. Wonder how they managed to keep decompiled source so
readable....

+ Good tutorial
+ Output is very readable

[3-7] Other nice utilities

        The following utilities are very handy but didn't fit in any other
category so a new paragraph....

---D2convert---

Written by Vincenzo Alcamo ([email-masked])
Current version is 3.2

        With this tool you can convert your PWAD to another game, say
change a PWAD from DOOM to DOOM ][. Or to Heretic. It even changes
textures and objects! The new level is not 100% and may need some extra
work to perfect but it's better than doing it all over!

+ Works OK
+ Configurable with response file
+ Works with DOOM, DOOM2 and Heretic

- Sometimes very slow, depending on PWAD size

---CleanWAD---

Written by Serge Smirnov ([email-masked])
Current version 1.0

        With this tool, you can take out all the junk in a PWAD, which
might save a few kb's. It also optimizes graphics and more. Works for DOOM
DOOM2 and Heretic.

+ Improves WAD quality

- Sometimes a bit unneeded... most editors do a clean job

==========================================================================
Chapter 4 : Authors experience
==========================================================================

[4-0] Required for editing

The Official DOOM FAQ by Hank Leukart, filename DMFAQ??.ZIP, where ?? is
the version number. 66 (6.666) is the latest.

The Unofficial DOOM specs by Matt Fell, filename DMSPEC??.TXT or .ZIP,
where ?? is the version number, 16 (1.666) is the latest.

        If you have decided which platform to use get some editors, best
is to get one listed since these are the most used. Also needed are :

- A fast computer (486) with 8Mb and a big HD for easy working, especially
  if you want to edit under Windows. If you don't have 8Mb and a 486 or
  better, don't try editing under Windows, but go to DOS unless you want to
  spend half of your time waiting while Windows is starting up or
  (re)building a map.
- A lot of patience.
- Try getting all versions of DOOM and DOOM ][ to test your WAD file!
  If your PWAD doesn't work with one or more versions, mention this in the
  WAD template (appendix A). For DOOM the latest version is The Ultimate
  DOOM with DOOM OS version 1.9, for DOOM ][ it's 1.9 also. This is it.
  id has no plans to go any further. Heretic's latest version is 1.3, and
  Hexen's latest version is 1.1, with 8 player capabilities included!
- Before starting, READ the unofficial DOOM specs and the Official DOOM FAQ
  and anything else you can get.
- A freezer with some beer or something like it.
- A really sick mind filled with hellish idea's for levels (just kidding!!)

[4-1] Level editing

        I started editing using DEU and DeeP, but since I like Windows
more and I already had DoomEd on some shareware floppy, I started using
DoomEd and I still do. In my opinion, DoomEd is one of the best editors.
It can make multilevel WAD files, you can use almost unlimited pre-
defined sector styles and all graphics can be viewed for easy editing.

        One of the best things about DoomEd is that everything is sector-
oriented. So you make 2 sectors, and then connect the vertices by dragging
them along the screen with the mouse and that's all! Making doors and
stairs is easy, most work is done for you, even the texture aligning.

        I always use RMB to make sure the level runs smooth. This always
takes me a few hours on bigger PWAD's but it's worth the effort.... I
always use the -perfect parameter, if you like to try this you better get
yourself a fat big Pentium :)

[4-2] Graphics editing

        I have to admit that I am pretty new to this stuff. I myself use
WinTex 4.3 since I hate all the stand-alone DOS utilities. WinTex has all
these files, and can control them all. As photo editor I use CorelDraw 5,
but shareware stuff like Paint Shop Pro is just as good and easier to
learn.

        To compile LARGE projects like a full replacement of a WAD Wintex
isn't very handy to use. If you are in such a situation, try DeuTex. It
works with subdir's for all entries and a ASCII text-file as makefile, so
it's easy to tune the output.

[4-3] Music and sound editing

        Since I am also a musician, I am pretty much into MIDI files. As
MIDI editor I use Recording Session, a (again!) Windows program. The
converting is done using WinTex and inserting is done by DoomEd. MIDI
files can be grabbed from BBS's and also from Internet. Try picking one
that fits with the mood of your level!

        Editing sounds is a little bit more tricky. Since I have a Sound-
Blaster AWE 32 I use some Creative software for recording the WAV file. WAV
files are also available on BBS's and Internet if you are too lazy to make
them on your own. Importing done by WinTex. Don't forget to turn off the
hardware or software compression.

[4-4] EXE editing

        About EXE editing... can't tell you much except for reading the
manual included with DeHackEd (I assume you will use DeHackEd, since it is
the most common) Just make sure you ALWAYS have a backup of your DOOM
executable, although DeHackEd will see to that... A modified EXE file will
give problems when going multiplay.

        On FTP.CDROM.COM and mirrors are a lot of patches... try them out
and see for yourself what is possible with this tool.

[4-5] Hexen scripting

        I will try to explain a bit about this, since there isn't much
info except for the specs (Thanks Ben!). It is basically just writing a C
program that controls some specific actions. You make a level and give
certain sectors/linedefs a special tag which refers to a script in a WAD
file. In this script are the conditions for an action and when triggered
how the action should be performed.

        This is all pretty difficult. My suggestion is to get and READ the
Hexen specs 0.9 by Ben Morris and then try something small like a door or
something and then try something bigger...

[4-6] Conclusion

Be sure when doing a level or something to save in between and make back-
up's of all your work. You never know what might happen when you are in the
middle of what might be the best you ever did.

        Wintex can control more stuff than is included in the ZIP file,
read the text files and get the other files as well, you won't be sorry.
Always try to get the latest version of all programs, these usually have
less bugs. But be SURE to check if the new version has any bugs, and if so
where a patch might be found to correct the problem.

        If you are new to editing, try getting some good WAD's. A good
list like the one in the Official DOOM FAQ will help. The DOOM WAD yellow
pages can help on this too, at
http://www.vivanet.com/pecora19/dwyp/dwyp.html

        Also try the WTF productions site, a DOOM II support group, they're
at http://www.gamers.org/wtf/. And remember, becoming good at something
usually takes a lot of time and practice so keep trying and don't be
ashamed to ask questions. The perfect newsgroup for editing questions is of
course rec.computer.games.doom.editing. This is the homebase for all DOOM
level editors. The people here can answer almost all of your questions.
Good luck with your WAD making career!

===========================================================================
Chapter 5 : Where to get the stuff
===========================================================================

[5-1] FTP-sites

        Look in the REC.COMPUTER.GAMES.DOOM.* newsgroups. There is a FTP-
and WWW-FAQ with all major DOOM sites listed, which is always up-to-date.
It's at http://www.cdrom.com/pub/idgames/docs/rgcd-pips/FTP_WWW_sites.html
too.

        All FTP-sites are anonymous, so your name is ANONYMOUS and the
password is your email address. Also for a list of where to get most DOOM
related software get the RGCD FAQ by Frans P. de Vries. This FAQ gives
latest versions of most utilities and where to get them. And finally some
important news about DOOM and other 3D-games is also published here. The
FAQ is updated regularly, so try obtaining the latest version. All the
FAQ's are posted regularly in the REC.GAMES.COMPUTER.DOOM.ANNOUNCE
newsgroup. The RGCD FAQ is also at
http://www.cdrom.com/pub/idgames/docs/rgcd-pips/RGCD_FAQ.html

[5-2] WWW-sites

id Software website    http://www.idsoftware.com/
GT Interactive         http://www.gtinteractive.com/
Raven                  http://www.ravensoft.com/
Hank Leukart's pages   http://www.happypuppy.com/hleukart/
WTF productions pages  http://www.gamers.org/wtf/
DOOM WAD yellow pages  http://www.vivanet.com/pecora19/dwyp/dwyp.html
And last my pages      http://www.gamers.org/~javanree/

For everything else, see chapter [5-1]

===========================================================================
Chapter 6 : People who have helped me with the guide
===========================================================================

Thanks to:

id Software for creating DOOM, Ultimate DOOM, DOOM II, Final DOOM, Quake,
                  Heretic and Hexen
Raven Software for Heretic and Hexen.
Hank Leukart for writing The Official DOOM FAQ.
Matt Fell for the Unofficial DOOM specs.
Frans P. de Vries for the ASCII logo, and much more. Without him, this
                  text never would exist.
Raphael Quinet for comments and suggestions.
Geoff Allan for some help with DoomEd
John Williston for help on WadAuthor
The WTF productions group and especially D.J. Quad.
Everyone else that helped me in ANY way, sorry but too much people to list.

===========================================================================
Appendix A : WAD template, extra info about your PWAD
===========================================================================

        There is a special template, which everyone should fill in and
include when they distribute their WAD file(s). This template gives other
people all the information they need to have regarding to your WAD file(s).
The template can be found on all DOOM FTP-sites (see [5-1] above) in the
subdirectory docs/editing/wadtempt.zip.