Subject: () POSTING GUIDELINES: Rec.Games.Computer.Doom.Announce
From: Tony Lezard <[email-masked]>
Newsgroups: rec.games.computer.doom.announce

Rec-games-computer-doom-announce-archive-name: pg-rgcda
Posting-Frequency: monthly

POSTING GUIDELINES FOR REC.GAMES.COMPUTER.DOOM.ANNOUNCE

Last update: 24 January 1996.

This is a moderated newsgroup.

Group submission address:   [email-masked]
Moderator contact address:  [email-masked] (Tony Lezard)

Note that *most* news reading software automatically translates attempts
to post to a moderated group into mail to the appropriate moderator. If
that doesn't work for you, use the addresses above.

These guidelines are not intended as a definitive ruleset but are just
ways to increase the probability of a submission to the newsgroup being
accepted.

* Content guidelines

Postings must be on the subject of Id software's recent and forthcoming
action games. Doom and Doom II are obviously included; so are Heretic,
Hexen, Quake and other games that use DOOM-like concepts and techniques   |
licensed from id Software. I generally won't accept postings solely
about games that significantly pre-date Doom, or non-id games that look
similar such as Descent, Dark Forces and Rise of the Triad, except to
announce their release.

The posting must be informative and of interest to the Doom-playing
community at large. Acceptable subjects include FAQs and pointers to
them, FTP site news (generally only from the site admins - I don't want
50 postings saying "cdrom is down!"), announcements of new utilities
such as level editors, PWAD announcements and reviews (note: "review"
means more than "it's a cool WAD" - there must be some exposition),
tournament and BBS news and so on. Anything captured in the moderator's
opinion by the essence of the first sentence of this paragraph.

All articles from employees or representatives of Id software will be
accepted. I don't think this conflicts with the previous paragraph.

Questions are very unlikely to be approved. Also, DON'T POST REQUESTS      |
FOR DEATHMATCH PARTNERS. These are only of limited interest and there      |
are better ways of finding opponents (see the FAQ).                        |

Repeat postings (except FAQs *sent by the moderator*) will generally
be rejected. If you want to say the same thing twice you'll need to
include a significant amount of new material which meets the Guidelines.

The Newsgroups: line will be left as submitted unless I feel some
newsgroups are inappropriate, or any other moderated newsgroups are
specified (the news software handles this badly). The moderator will
creatively set the Followup-To: line (if the poster has not already done
so) if the article is crossposted to any unmoderated groups.

Subject lines should also be informative. If they are, the moderator
will leave them unaltered.

* Style guidelines

Keep (unquoted) line length under 79 characters. Articles that exceed
this limit will be reformatted or bounced at the discretion of the
moderator.

Postings should be readable. This means that postings which are all in
uppercase, or are full of spelling errors, or contain no paragraph
breaks for example may be bounced with a request for resubmission. If
the corrections required can be done quickly the moderator might apply
them himself and approve the posting.

Excessive quoting and lengthy signatures will be trimmed or removed.

The moderator will always insert a note indicating when he has performed
any editing of an article.

* Other notes

No acknowledgement will be given when an acceptable posting is received.
If a posting is rejected the moderator will always try to bounce the
posting back to the sender with a reason, with the exception of spam and
other obvious time wasting. All submissions (even spam) whether accepted
or not will be stored for a reasonable period of time and made available
to anyone who expresses an interest. The archive for approved articles
resides at ftp://ftp.mantis.co.uk/pub/doom/rec-articles/.

I will probably not be providing a mail feed of postings to this group.
I'll be too busy moderating to be running a mailing list at the same
time. However, if someone else wants to, they're welcome to.

-- 
== Tony Lezard ==  |  Moderator, rec.games.computer.doom.announce
[email-masked]  |  http://www.mantis.co.uk/~tony/