From: Raphael Quinet <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 1994 20:20:34 +0100

The latest version of DEU is 5.21.  The next version of DEU will be DEU 5.3
and it will be released on October 10th (hopefully).  This version will be
compatible with Doom(tm) and Doom II(tm).

A pirate copy of DEU has been released under the name DEU-II or DEU2.  This
is not an official version!  If you see it somewhere, please notify the
admin of the site and tell him that he has some illegal software on his
server.  The (anonymous) pirate who patched DEU to make it compatible with
Doom II has done several Bad Things:
- He did not comply with Id Software's request that no editor working with
  Doom II should be released before the official release date of Doom II
  (October 10th).
- He did not comply with what we wrote in the DEU documentation: we requested
  that any software based on DEU is called something else, because we want to
  be the only ones releasing a program called DEU.
- He certainly did not sign the third-party software license from Id Software.
  This license ("data utility license") allows the authors of Doom editors to
  release their program and to use the Doom trademark in the program and
  documentation.

                                              The DEU team.
----- end README.DEU2 -----